Livebox cannot detect broadband

mar34 22:35 20 Feb 08

Without warning my connection to Orange broadband via the livebox went down 5 months ago. My pc was a wired connection with a wireless connection to my laptop. After checking all cables, connections etc I contacted Orange on numerous occasions. They checked my account, sent out a BT engineer to check the line, replaced the livebox but all to no avail. In desperation I asked them to send out another modem which they did - a speedtouch modem. This is a dial up broadband modem and I am able to get my broadband connection ok on this. However I cannot connect to my laptop on this and really want my wireless router to work!
When I asked Orange why the modem detects the broadband ok but not the livebox they informed me that they use different frequencies. I don't think they have much clue about any of this.
Can anyone advise what I can do to get the livebox router to detect the broadband? I have reset it several times to no affect.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 20 Feb 08

When connected to phne line what lights are lit?

mar34 00:38 21 Feb 08

The @ light gives 6 steady flashes and then flashes rapidly for several seconds and then repeats these on a continual cycle. Most of the time the wireless light flashes steadily.

laurie53 07:43 21 Feb 08

Exact symptoms I had with a faulty cable between the telephone wall socket and the Livebox. BT don't check anything beyond their own terminal.

Try a new/substitute cable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 21 Feb 08

Faulty cable or faulty filter looks likely.

@ light flashing means BB not synchronised. light needs to be steady.

mar34 19:25 21 Feb 08

Thanks all for you help but I have replaced all the cables and nothing changed.

My brother came by tonight with his router (not a livebox) and when we tried it, it did not pick up the broadband either.

I then reconnected my dial up broadband modem and now I recieve broadband again.

I don't understand why the modem can pick up the BB signal but a router can't.

Daveboy 21:20 21 Feb 08

Modems & routers do "talk" differently, there is a setting that BT can see that sometimes "locks" to either one. The de-fault should be auto so that either can sync @ the next opportunity, but as I say it sometimes doesn't release-hence modem or router only.Good luck getting someone to take that on board though !

MCE2K5 21:30 21 Feb 08

dial up broadband modem?, click here

Daveboy 21:49 21 Feb 08

USB type b/b modems are set up like a "dial up" modem, hence the confusion.

MCE2K5 21:56 21 Feb 08

Cheers Daveboy, Just wondered.

mar34 10:14 23 Feb 08

Thanks for your responses. I will contact Orange again and see if they can get BT to investigate the settings on my line. Will let you know how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…