Live messenger..how to tame it?

six-h 19:30 22 Jan 10

I've made the mistake of updating to Windows Live:o(
Now, every time I open my hotmail account, the messenger icon appears in the taskbar.
Before, I managed to banish it until required, now I don't seem to have that option.
Any idea how I can train it to do my bidding!?

go back to 8.5

?

am having an error to I cant even install it lol

Go to filehippo.com mate

Have older versions there

johnnyrocker 20:10 22 Jan 10

have you tried preference settings?

johnny

six-h 20:46 22 Jan 10

johnnyrocker,
"preference settings", where are they then?
All I have is "Options" under "Tools", and a lot of those options are greyed out.
There is no option to have "Live Mail start without it's sidekick!

BRYNIT 22:15 22 Jan 10

Under Tools/options/sign In see if you can remove the tick from Automatically run Windows live Messenger when I log onto windows.

six-h 22:37 22 Jan 10

BRYNIT, it's already unticked!
The one below (Open WLM main window when WLM starts) is ticked, but greyed out.
Ticking it the top box then allows you to untick the previously greyed out box: End result ya still have the blessed thing!
Seems Microsoft are conceited enough to think that it's impossible that anyone would possibly want email without the sodding messenger!!

Sea Urchin 23:08 22 Jan 10

If you want to get rid of it try using ZapMessenger

click here

six-h 00:11 23 Jan 10

Thanks Sea Urchin, I 've usedInstall/remove.
Won't be trying messenger again anytime soon!
Only tried using it tonight after more than a year to contact someone that only responds this way!
Now, where are my postage stamps!

rdave13 00:41 23 Jan 10

Not sure that Sea Urchin's way is a good way of getting rid or Win Live Messenger. Might create problems with registry later or might not. I don't know.
Simple way of uninstalling WLM is to go to Programs and features (add/remove) and select Windows Live Essentials, select 'uninstall' and follow the prompts.
It will at least allow you to re-install WLM at a later date if required.

six-h 01:41 23 Jan 10

Hi rdave13, that's what I thought.
Just glad I had the option, reading other peeps experiences & they've not been so lucky.
Pleased that I'm rid of it TBH.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…