Live Messenger High CPU Utilisation

Hugg6ear 22:04 21 May 07

This laptop runs very well most of the time. But when I try to run a Webcam session over Live Messenger the CPU hits 100%, even with Norton Security disabled. I have tried falling back to Messenger 7.5 but still have the same problem. Does anybody have any suggestions what may be causing the problem?

Windows XP Pro SP2
Intel Pentium 4 - M M 2000mhz
512+512;SODIMM,SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce4 460 Go
2meg Broadband

brundle 23:26 21 May 07

webcam driver? check it's the latest or see if the manufacturer has a forum. Not much more to suggest as you don't mention the webcam make/model

birdface 09:34 22 May 07

Hmmm.I don't know if its the same but if I run my Anti-Virus or anything like that My CPU uses anything from about 40% up to 100% usage.I am sure that there are a few up-grades that I could do to my computer to make it run better,Or maybe a few programs that I could delete that would make it run better,But as my computer is getting past its sell bye date I don,t think it is worth updating it while computers are fairly cheap to buy at the moment.I am sure someone will be able to tell you what up-grades that you may need for your computer to make it run better,

birdface 08:39 24 May 07

If no other suggestions. Delete Norton, Run Norton removal tool, click here then run C Cleaner,Then reinstall Norton.

birdface 08:52 24 May 07

What programs are hogging your CPU when reaching 100% There have been problems with svchost.exe If so remove Microsoft automatic up-dates reboot your computer and try manually updating computer.See if that helps.

Hugg6ear 09:40 24 May 07

Thanks for the suggestions, I will have a play and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…