Live Messenger - 80072efd error

TipX 08:20 04 Aug 08

Since yesterday morning I have been unable to log in to Windows Live Messenger, receiving the error message 80072efd. This appears to be linked to firewall setting but I have not knowingly change anything.
Things were working fine on Friday, and recent activity was the removing of a problematic NetGear WG311v3 wireless card (random freezes) and the switching back to using a Cat5e patch cable instead. I also downloaded a game from click here on Friday night/Saturday morning in several chunks.
Windows diagnostics suggest there is an issue with FTP connections?

Hoping you can help.

sinbads 08:42 04 Aug 08

In Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.
In the Internet Options dialog box, go to the Connections tab.
Click LAN Settings…
Untick the Use a proxy server for your LAN

TipX 23:28 04 Aug 08

Thanks Sinbads. I checked within Internet Exlorer but this wasn't selected.

I use Firefox if this is relevent?

Any other suggestions?

sinbads 04:53 05 Aug 08

To eliminate your firewall temparary switch this off and see if live messenger works.

You could try a system restore to before you had this problem, don't think using firefox would cause an issue with live messenger.

TipX 08:33 05 Aug 08

I've tried (with no success) :

Switching off firewall.

Restoring to a point days before problem started.

Adding Port 21 (FTP Server) and Port 20 (FTP-Data) to my exceptions list for the firewall.

Reinstalling Messenger, however this problem blocks me from accessing Windows Updates, etc.

Resetting router (off then on). As it is a work one I cannot change settings directly on it.

What does this leave?

I run AVG Free and use Windows Firewall - what additional information is relevant?

TipX 10:13 05 Aug 08

Thanks Marg7.
I did recently add a webcam (last week) but have successfully made a video and voice call on it before the problem started.
As it is a work provided router I have no access to the set up, but it's not given me problems before either for internet or messenger access (albeit predominantly via the now removed netgear wireless card).
I did uninstall the webcam based on what you suggested might be causing the issue, but still no fix I am afraid.

I am probably less bothered about Messenger than I am about not being able to get Windows Updates.

rdave13 10:29 05 Aug 08

Have a look here; click here and especially check time and date correctly set.

TipX 00:26 06 Aug 08

Thanks rdave13. I've checked through the list of items on that link, and also run the command lines suggested, but still no joy.

I do not wish to sound ungrateful given the number of suggestions so far, but please...ANY MORE IDEAS?

rdave13 00:46 06 Aug 08

Another list to look at; click here

TipX 01:01 06 Aug 08

Thanks rdave13. I fail at step one on this list and cannot download the file.

What does this suggest?

rdave13 01:08 06 Aug 08

Something is blocking internet access. Try suggestion 4 'ipconfig /flushdns'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017