Live Linux

woodchip 10:19 19 Oct 09

I am at the moment downloading Ubuntu Linux, when I have created the Image on the CD, How do I know that it will be a Live CD, not a Install? as I am going to try it on my XP Laptop. And no wish to mess up my XP Disc

woodchip 10:41 19 Oct 09

^

cream. 11:59 19 Oct 09

select boot from cd and restart with cd in the tray.

It should start the installation and you should have a choice to run from cd or install on a partition.

Choose run from disk and nothing will be installed on the harddisk.

woodchip 12:11 19 Oct 09

Thank's all for the above, and thanks to Marg7 for the video

LastChip 13:10 19 Oct 09

on Thursday, the 29 October, there will be a new version (9.10 Karmic Koala) that looks like it's going to be a leap forward compared to the excellent version you all ready have.

These distributions (known as distros) are updated every six months, so you get leading edge technology all the time; for free!

Incidentally, the Windows 7 desktop, is a rip-off of KDE, (you'll be using Gnome in Ubuntu), another desktop manager that is available via Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, SuSE and others.

woodchip 14:17 19 Oct 09

I am typing this in Ubuntu, Just had to change from US to UK keyboard and settings

woodchip 14:19 19 Oct 09

Yes this version is 9.04

woodchip 14:26 19 Oct 09

Its come a long way since I last used it. Can get at my photos without any Problems on the Hard Drive. Plus I got a Newsletter from Zdnet saying that its best to use a Live linux CD for online banking and buying as nothing can get onto a CD and no info is kept.

It may be a bit slow doing it this way but if its safer who cares.

Plus no Viruses or Bandits can get on my System

LastChip 14:38 19 Oct 09

As an aside, I've been involved in a discussion elsewhere about sophisticated new generation Trojans affecting Windows. Specifically, the ability of these nasty little piece of code to get right into secure sessions including on-line banking for example.

As far as I know, there are (as yet) no versions that affect Linux and as there is an element of writing needed for this code to work, an ideal solution is to use a Linux "Live CD", to carry out on-line banking transactions. Linux succeeds in two areas. First, as it's a CD, it cannot be written to and second, the Linux architecture stifles any attempt for the code to execute.

Food for thought.

LastChip 14:39 19 Oct 09

:-)

DieSse 15:35 19 Oct 09

I'm using Mint, woodchip. Mint is based on Ubuntu, but already has full DVD and music playing capabilities without downloading any extras. Having tried both I find Mint a bit more polished and complete.

I installed it on a Lenove laptop yesterday, and in no time it was up and working with ALL the peripherals going, including wifi, camera etc. Putting XP on the sam laptop was a royal pain, with updates, drivers ad nauseam.

I'm putting Win7 on later to triple boot.

Try Mint - I almost guarantee you'll find it a better "Ubuntu Plus" experience.

I've got Skype, Spotify, Google Earth, Picasa, and much more, already running under Mint.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac