Live Linux

Jigsaw616 16:58 16 Jan 09

When i search the web for Linux distros, i get millions of results. Can anyone reccommend a version of linux that i can run live from a DVD, which contains openoffice (or similar) for work, a working media player, and an internet browser pre-installed.

Thank you for your help.

LastChip 17:26 16 Jan 09

click here for Linux Mint

click here for SimplyMEPIS

click here for Ubuntu or Kubuntu if you prefer a more Windows like environment.

click here for PCLinuxOS 2007 - 2009 is not yet out of beta, so stay clear unless you are prepared to experiment.

All of those will run "live" and all will give you an office suite.

Media is a little less straight forward and revolves around licensing issues. Just as you would have to buy something like Power DVD to run DVD's in Windows, you need to download and install codecs to do the same job in Linux. Not as complicated as it sounds and if you need further help on that, just ask. Audio will work "out of the box".

pompyx 17:41 16 Jan 09

Jigsaw616

I can recommend Ubuntu's Intrepid Ibex, installed it on my new Novatec Laptop, and dual booted it with XP.
The Wi-Fi worked out of the box with little to no input from me.
Once the extra Depositories were installed every think worked very well.
I find I very rarely use XP now.

woodchip 18:29 16 Jan 09

take your pick click here

DieSse 22:13 16 Jan 09

With a working media player, including already set up the playing of MP3s and DVDs - the Kiwi version of Ubuntu.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…