live file monitoring backup software

rsturbo 00:21 15 Dec 03

i have a pc with a 'c' and a 'd' hard drive (2 drives in total), i need a program that i can tell to monitor my docs folder and outlook express folder (and any other i specify), each time a file is updated or added to these folders a backup is created on the 'd' drive. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks in advance for any help

currently using w98se but probably upgrading to xp in future

Pesala 12:21 15 Dec 03

If backup is so mission critical, maybe using a RAID setup will be best. Unless both drives fail simultaneously due to a power surge !!!

click here;sz=336x280;ord=1486119355?

Pesala 12:23 15 Dec 03
  rsturbo 16:22 15 Dec 03

does not support raid, just need a simple program to backup certain folders - thanks for posting

Gemma 17:27 15 Dec 03

Lots of backup applications out there; this seems value click here Or you could DIY with a batch program and a mouse click from time to time if you don't want automatic anything. e.g. (if the formatting fails here, the first line is the rem...Make a shortcut to this file (use Notepad and save as Backup.bat). Do not click on it to edit (it will run) but open with Notepad. Use as many xcopy lines as you want replacing the foldera, b, c with yours. If the folder names contain spaces use quotes like "c:\Folder A"

rem Batch file for backups
rem /d is copy where date is younger
rem /h copy hidden and system files
rem /s is copy folders
xcopy c:\foldera d:\foldera /d /h /s
xcopy c:\folderb d:\folderb /d /h /s
xcopy c:\folderc d:\folderc /d /h /s
etc.

Diodorus Siculus 17:42 15 Dec 03

I think your best bet is to run a backup program on a regular basis: say when your screensaver kicks in. Something like EZbackup works in a few minutes as it only copies files that have changed / are new.

I don't know of one that will be able to do it on the fly without user intervention.

Pesala 22:33 15 Dec 03

Trial version download available: click here

Features: click here

Software based file mirroring. Enhanced version allows mirroring of files that are in use.

Pesala 12:25 17 Dec 03

(~_~)

Big Elf 12:38 17 Dec 03

This is an extract of the batch file I use to do my backups. The command is slightly different in earlier Windows versions. I think you would use xcopy32 instead of xcopy and the date should be in the format 17/12/2003 but I'm working from memory so you may have to tinker.

xcopy c:\data\*.* /S /R /Y /d:12/17/2003 d:\data

I also have another batch file which opens up the backup.bat file and I use search and replace to change the date. Someone will probably be able to give the batch file command that automatically inserts the current date.

It won't work automatically each time a file is changed but you can create a shortcut to it.

Big Elf 12:40 17 Dec 03

P.S. The above example copies sub folders and automatically overwrites the files on the destination drive without prompting.

Big Elf 12:51 17 Dec 03

I do apologise. I failed to read your post properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…