A little help wth some RAM installation

pifko 11:38 28 May 06

Hi guys, I was thinking of ordering a 1GB SoDimm for my laptop and so wanted to find out what speeds etc I would need. So I ran Everest and found out all the relevant info. I also openned up the cover for the RAM underneath the laptop just so I could see in advance how they're set out (i.e. how easy it'll be to install). I took out the top chip of RAM (I have 2x256) and put it back in after havin a look around for the first time(This was after taking the battery and power supply out).

I turned the laptop back on, only to find the screen didn't turn on and hearing 3 loud beeps. I know I've probably wrecked the chip I handled (Not that bothered as I was going to swap it for a 1GB anyway), but is that what happens with a faulty chip (i.e the 3 loud system beeps and no signal to the monitor?).

So now I only have 256 in my laptop now(:D learn the hard way), can any of you guys give me some pointers/care tips when installing my 1GB stick?...It'll be costing about £85 hence the lengthy precautions, lol. I know I probably wrecked the chip earlier from handelling while being grounded or something (I'm a bit confused in this area) so any advice will be truly appreciated.

Pifko

Gongoozler 12:26 28 May 06

Hi pifko. Despite the dire warnings it's quite unusual to damage a chip by handling it unless you've built up a lot of static. It's more common to simply not insert the device properly in the socket. To identify the correct memory for your laptop try the Crucial memory selector click here. If you buy memory selected that way it will be guaranteed to work in your computer. And from the same site here is a memory installation guide click here

DieSse 13:39 28 May 06

Remove the battery from the laptop before changing RAM modules.

Spark6 14:42 28 May 06

For future reference!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced