Lithium Ion Laptop batterie (Lion?)

johnlecarre 16:41 25 Apr 05

Think that is the correct description. My laptop battery used to be OK for 1.5 to 2 hours use when fully charged but since Friday last it will only go for about 15 to 20 mins before wanting to hibernate the laptop, checking the charge state icon shows it discharges very quickly. Battery is 3 or 4 years old and suddenly seems to have gone. Is this normal? Is there a way of recovering it? I thought LION batteries did not suffer from memory effect.

wiz-king 17:04 25 Apr 05

Check the voltage if you have a meter and you may find that it is a volt low, if it is then a cell has gone down and there is nothing you can do except replace the battery pack. Three years is a fair life for a battery if it is charged every couple of days. Unfortunatly a new battery may cost you a quarter of the price of a new computer depending on make and type!

Belatucadrus 17:15 25 Apr 05

You are correct Li-ion batteries don't get memory effect, but this doesn't sound like it anyway. I think your battery has expired and is in need of replacement click here for chapter and verse on laptop batteries. click here for their battery shop page. If your laptop isn't listed ask them as they can get almost anything and the prices are good.

johnlecarre 17:34 25 Apr 05

Thanks for the prompt replies, looks like it has exceeded it useful life.

SANTOS7 17:38 25 Apr 05

click here
this may help with any new battery bought.....

johnlecarre 19:31 25 Apr 05

Further investigation gave this curious result:
Laptop just on battery, watching the power status monitor and the percentage charge left dropped fairly quickly, in about 10 mins, to 12 percent and less. Then the laptop tried to shut down, I switched it back on, it shut down again so I switched back on again and it was running, even though power status showed zero percent with a red cross through the battery icon. I did a virus check to load the battery more and the laptop ran for a further 50 mins even though battery appeared flat,finally switched itself off and wouldn't come on without mains power. One virus found, dont know what it was, AVG deleted it. Ran Spybot too, nothing found.
So, anyone heard of a virus which can affect the way the system sees the battery and tricks it into shutting down even though battery seems OK.
I measured battery voltage before all this and it was 11.1V which is about right for full charge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…