Liteon LD163(GH5Firmware Update - PC Crash - HELP!

Zucco 11:06 20 Jan 05

Before I go into details let it be known that this is the first time that I have updated Firmware so I probably screwed up! I received a Mail fom Liteon in response to a query about a Firmware Update for my LTD163 and was directed to download "GH5S" firmware from their site. This I did (a Zip File) and (this is probably where the issue of me not having a clue about what I was doing becomes important!) attempted to flash the Drive whilst running Windows XP Home - you know the rest! An Error Window opened to inform me that XP did'nt like what was going on(and lots more) and was about to reboot in order to prevent damage being done. There were lots of other instructions on this Blue Screen but it was gone before I could record it and now my PC won't boot-up! I can see that my Liteon DVD-ROM is no longer recognised(Secondary IDE Master)and I get the Message "Boot Disk Error Insert System Disk". I insert my recovery CD-ROM manage to get to The Recovery console and indicate which Partion on my hardrive I want to start then I get the Command Prompt and 'cause I have no Idea what I'm doing get no further - HELP!

JonnyTub 11:09 20 Jan 05

will it start in safe mode?

Zucco 11:20 20 Jan 05

To get into Safe Mode I normally hit F8 and choose from the Options there. I have tried unsuccessfully to do this but there is no response when I hit F8! I can still hit F1(or DEL) to get into Setup though.

JonnyTub 11:26 20 Jan 05

if you can't get into safe mode, the only way i can see for you to get windows running is to remove the drive all together or disable it in the bios for the time being. As for the drive I suggest you contact liteon directly as they will most likely tell you if it's fried or not, and also request you yo send it in. I have had a look for your drive and the firmware you mention but can't find it. Do you have a link for it?

Zucco 11:36 20 Jan 05

Thanks anyway! Can't I use the XP Recovery Console? As I said, I got as far as the Command Prompt "D:/Windows" but as I have no idea what I am doing can't get any further. I will post that link for the Firmware as soon as I get into my Home Machine!

Chezdez 11:37 20 Jan 05

disable the drive in BIOS, or unplug it

then try getting into safemode, see if windows is working

if you can't, use your XP disk and do a recovery

the first step is gonna be gettin windows up and running before we can play with drive, so lets get that done

JonnyTub 11:39 20 Jan 05

You might find it will boot with the drive removed.

It's not the recovery console you want. If it's not firing up after drive removal, it's a "repair installation" job. That's if you have a copy of xp.

With a recovery disk, it should be more straight forward, just follow the instructions, they shouldn't be any command prompt options.

Check what disk you have.

Chezdez 11:40 20 Jan 05

do you have two CD drives?

if so, set the one that still works as your primary boot device, and then insert your XP disk before rebooting. you will get a prompt say 'press any key to boot from CD...'

once the CD is loaded, you will be given the option of repair or clean install. just follow the onscreen instructions from there

Sans le Sou 11:59 20 Jan 05

found this click here

Zucco 12:03 20 Jan 05

Lotz to go on here - thank you both very much! I shall try this evening to Boot Up with 1) the drive in question disabled in BIOS, if that does'nt work then I shall remove the Drive and try re-booting again, see if I can get into "Safe Mode" and do a System Restore from there.
If I can't get any further then I shall attempt to Boot from CD after setting my DVD-RW drive as my Primary Boot Device. I'm a little confused about this - will this not bring me into the Windows Recovery Console and back to Square One? What do I then need if not the "Recovery Console"? I think I have already come this far, from the Recovery CD I am given Option's and I choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R" - is this not a "Repair Installation" Jonny Tub? Again as I have said I get as far as the D:\WINDOWS Command Prompt - WHAT THEN?

Chezdez 12:10 20 Jan 05

if you boot from your windows XP disk, and select repair, it doesn't take you to recovery console, it just performs a repair on the system, replacing any missing or corrupted files

i would also recommend doing a scan disk, clean up any damaged sectors on your harddrive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…