Listening at Pandora problems

GaT7 19:11 17 Aug 06

Discussion expanding in someone else's thread click here, so started this fresh thread....

All related posts copied & pasted here:

1. ME - "ade.h if you mean this Pandora click here - I'm their latest fan!

2. ME - Well, the Pandora site let me listen for a little while, then requested me to register - which is fine I thought.

However, since I live here (UK) I haven't a US zip code to enter, which is compulsory. Looking in their FAQs this is what it says:

"Q: Why don't you offer Pandora to countries outside of the United States?
Sadly, we can only legally offer Pandora services to residents of the United States at this time. Audio streaming regulations differ from country to country, and we are working on acquiring the proper licenses. Keep checking back!"

If it crops up in the forum sometimes, are the posts by American members?

Do we have a UK equivalent that's as good? G

3. ade.h - I have never experienced that. Registrations seems entirely optional as far as I can tell.

4. pickle factory - "I haven't a US zip code to enter, which is compuls..."

How legally binding is it, that it needs to be your zip code, or does it just ask for a US zip code???

5. ade.h - I don't know; as I say, I have never been specifically asked to enter one at any point, so I have never had cause to worry about it. When the site ws brought to the forum's attention a couple of years ago, a few of us discussed our concerns about whether it was legal for UK listeners to use the service, but concluded that it probably was.

-------------------------------------------

Fresh post with new info to follow. G

GaT7 19:15 17 Aug 06

Right guys this is what's happening....

Whenever I visit Pandora, the player says it's loading then immediately comes up with this click here.

If I click on the 'Continue Listening' button, it displays the Registration form. It appears I cannot go any further or listen any more unless I fill up the form in full (except gender).

ade.h (or anyone else), what happens when you listen to music at Pandora now?

"How legally binding is it, that it needs to be your zip code, or does it just ask for a US zip code???"

It states on the regn form "US residents only", clicking the Why? link displays this click here:

"Q. Why do you need to know my zip code?

At this time we are only licensed to offer Pandora music services to residents of the United States. Audio streaming regulations differ from country to country, and we are working on acquiring the proper licenses so we can legally offer Pandora outside of the United States. We require your zip code to confirm that you are a resident of the United States."

I could use my brother's zip code - he lives in the US - but that would be wrong wouldn't it? G

VoG II 19:17 17 Aug 06

I am a very naughty person! I used the zip code of our American parent company.

No sign of the plod yet.

ade.h 19:26 17 Aug 06

Well, G; right now, I'm hearing some artists that sound like Beck and all is well. No prompts for ZIP codes so far.

rawprawn 19:31 17 Aug 06

I just use a friends zip code,& like VoG™ yet to be arrested.

ade.h 19:47 17 Aug 06

Still playing, and still no ZIP code request....

pickle factory 20:44 17 Aug 06

Errrr. I'd better own up, my leading question earlier was due to the fact that I used my cousin's zip in Florida and I also listen regularly. Darned good I think. Being as VoG™ can be that naughty, I'm just following his example. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!). But I also had the free 10 or so tracks before it called for reg. I have it as a widget on Opera, might it be different through other access areas, thus why some people don't seem to be asked for reg.?

GaT7 21:00 17 Aug 06

Thanks guys. It still doesn't work for me - wonder why?

Could it be my ISP, NTL? No, because it worked the very first time.

I've tried clearing cache/cookies & couple of other browsers as well with the same result.

ade.h - wonder if you're experience is unique?

VoG™, rawprawn & pickle factory - that's VERY naughty. I'm sure you're going to hear Mr Plod knocking any time, lol!

Well, if you can't beat them, join them - I'll try my bro's US zip code. G

P.S. If anyone's wondering what's all this about, check it out for yourself - the Pandora site is at click here

GaT7 21:12 17 Aug 06

Yeah, no problem it worked : )) G

pickle factory 21:13 17 Aug 06

Have to be a big cell to fit us all in then.

De Marcus™ 21:16 17 Aug 06

bunk along pickle factory, it's getting tight in here ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…