List Of Programs using the Internet

suburban train 20:52 11 Sep 07

Hello,

Is there a way in which I can find out what programs I have installed on my PC are transmiting data and using up my internet connection? Maybe for checking for the next update or something more sinister such as a virus spyware?

Thank you

brundle 20:53 11 Sep 07

TCPView click here, ActivePorts click here (not for Vista), a decent firewall.

brundle 20:56 11 Sep 07

There is also netstat from the command line; start menu/run, type cmd

type

netstat -nab

press return.

TCPView is easier to understand though

Clapton is God 20:56 11 Sep 07

There's no need to load a program to do this. There's a command line utility that will help you find out, and it works in both XP and Vista:

• Click Start
• In XP, click Run and type cmd in the Run box
• At the command prompt, type netstat -nab

This displays a list of running programs, the protocol being used by each to connect to the Internet, and the IP address and port being used. You might be surprised to see, for instance, that PowerPoint is connected to the Internet - but it will be if you use the online Help function, search for clip art, etc.

suburban train 10:56 12 Sep 07

Hello,

Thanks for your comments ive downloaded Active Ports which goes further and identifies the folder which is transmitting data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…