LINUX/UNIX

bally1020 20:06 18 Sep 04

Has anyone had any experience of unix or linux? I am intending to make a machine with a unix/linux OS on it and use it as a gateway internet connection with a cable modem.

1) is it possible to network a unix OS machine with a windows machine?

2) anybody know what would be a good easy unix OS to start with?

3) any major problems i should know about? Does windows software run on linux at all? Or would i need to buy all new software?

I have a copy of redhat linux full version. Might gifve that a try! Any suggestions greatly appreciated,. cheers

Lian

Diodorus Siculus 21:26 18 Sep 04

Go with Linux - eg Suse 9.1 professional

You can get wine which allows you to run some Windows progs on Linux.

Netwroking does happen, but not always simple.

What version of Redhat do you have?

Diodorus Siculus 21:27 18 Sep 04

Go with Linux - eg Suse 9.1 professional

You can get wine which allows you to run some Windows progs on Linux.

Netwroking does happen, but not always simple.

What version of Redhat do you have?

bally1020 22:16 18 Sep 04

I have a version of redhat which is about 6 years old!! full version thohgh. Can i download the suse 9.1 and does it have a fairly easy to use GUI?
Sorry what do you mean about win "you can get wine...." ?
cheers again
L

keith-236785 22:29 18 Sep 04

wine is an emulator to allow you to run windows programs under linux

i am using Mandrake 10 and have no problems conecting to the internet and also running a home network via the linux to a windowsxp pc upstairs.

just remember that linux is NOT windows though it does have a certain feel of windows.

the file browsing and commands are totally different. linux will take some learning but may be worth it in the long run as it is free.

keith-236785 22:32 18 Sep 04

click here for mandrake10 download site, you will need all three cd's, fourth i believe is optional but better get it anyway just to be sure.

if you just want to take a look at linux, try knoppix. it runs from the cd and gives you an insight into linux, then you can decide if it is for you or not.

good luck

Gaz 25 00:10 19 Sep 04

Samba can be set-up to allow Microsoft Networking.

Wine will allow you to run windows programs.

And... dont go with UNIX, it is a good OS but hard to use.

Start with Mandrake, Suse or Redhat.

Gaz 25 00:11 19 Sep 04

Mandrake, Suse or Redhat do have good easy GUI interfaces.

bally1020 18:01 22 Sep 04

Thanks for all your imput! I will have another read and think and go and try one, maybe on a standalone machine to begin with!! Thanks very much

Lian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…