linux and xp home installing the former

sean-278262 19:02 27 Aug 04

i have 2 hdds in my computer 1 has windows xp home on it the other is a new one which i have partitioned into 3 drives and formatted, and i want to load suse linux 9.0 onto it so i can use eiter windows xp or linux.how do i go about installing linux onto the computer so i can use either OS?i bought the disk at a computer fair and was told that it was all i needed to load it but im not to sure thats very true!

zanwalk 19:32 27 Aug 04

Well it should go smoothly as SUSE should pick up on your XP and offer to add it to the bootloader. However, you must be sure when it asks you which partition to install to, that it is the correct partition, as formatting your XP partition would be disastrous to say the least.

I think that I would be inclined to disconnect the XP HD while installing SUSE, and reconnecting after. That would leave you having to manually edit the bootloader to ensure SUSE was able to boot it, but you would be certain to keep XP, and if you failed in your attempt to edit the bootloader, you could always disconnect the SUSE HD in order to boot XP as at present.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…