Linux and XP?

Tightrope 12:00 15 Apr 07

Hello!

I've been contemplating recentley installing Linux whilst leaving Windows XP home edition on the computer and running it as a dual OS machine.

How easy is this to do and does it create any serious problems/clashes between OSs or anything?

Thanks in advance people. :)

X™ 12:06 15 Apr 07

Nope. It's all good. Just one thing though, when you install, make sure you set what OS you want auto booting, and what the time limit is. My family went crazy when Linux auto booted. >:D

Tightrope 12:20 15 Apr 07

Great!!!

Is it possible to manually choose which one loads up each time without having to load one, then restart to get the other?

Sorry for my general ignorance.

baldtaco 12:22 15 Apr 07

You can always run Linux from a disk [Live CD] 'till you find the one you want to commit to. I've lured several to the dark side confident they can't kill anything playing about with Kanotix like that - click here

Madscot_uk 12:23 15 Apr 07

I dual boot linux/xp and it was a painless process, I use Ubuntu.

During the linux install it will put a program called grub on your computer, this allows you to choose between os's during bootup.

mocha 16:37 15 Apr 07

I dual boot with SUSE 10.1 and XP, as baldtaco suggests try some Live CD's to get a feel of Linux before installing onto hard drive, here's a start point, Live CD list.

Good luck,

click here

ironjade 20:24 20 Jul 07

If you install Ubuntu using the Wubi installer you'll be able to remove it very easily without going anywhere near partitions or having to use your Windows disc.
You can manually select which OS to boot into but after a while Windows will boot up by default.

ironjade 20:26 20 Jul 07

If you install Ubuntu using the Wubi installer you'll be able to remove it very easily without going anywhere near partitions or having to use your Windows disc.
You can manually select which OS to boot into but after a while Windows will boot up by default.

woodchip 20:32 20 Jul 07

Before you make your mind up, or mess your computer up. try running a Live linux CD from click here You create a Live CD with the Download then start your computer with the CD, The BIOS as to be set to boot from CD as first boot device. It does not load to the Hard Drive. It loads to Ram and runs from CD so when you shut it down it's gone until you want to use it again. Virus cannot do your computer any arm as when comp shut down Ram unloads Virus or any malaware

woodchip 20:33 20 Jul 07

Sorry did not see the above about link

Dipso 22:23 20 Jul 07

I agree with ironjade. I have just found out about Wubi too and have successfully set up a dual boot of XP and Kubuntu using it. I have tried several times to install Linux alongside XP and have never been successful but found Wubi a breeze.

You can use it to set up various flavours of Linux, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu to name a few. I like the fact that if you don't like it you just uninstall Wubi and everything is back as it was, no partitions to remove. Wubi does everything, it even downloads the .iso for you and then sets it all up.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple