linux and windows on same pc

01chris 16:59 14 Sep 05

I have heard that people have two different versions of windows on one pc but is it possible to have linux and windows xp on the same computer?

If so how would i go about it (I have a version of linux on a cd from my magazine and win xp is already installed)

Diodorus Siculus 17:07 14 Sep 05

Near every version of Linux will install alongside Windows as part of a dual boot system and most will resize the windows partition as part of the install procedure.

Do you have a particular Linux in mind?

Diodorus Siculus 17:08 14 Sep 05

PS Be sure to have a good backup system in place beforehand though - it is not unknown for a problem to arise.

scotty 17:11 14 Sep 05

Not sure if it is the same for XP, but I have Suse and Windows ME on the same pc. Linux install came with a utility called Grub loader (I think that is the name) an it lets you select which operating system you load. Linux install also organised partitioning of the harddrive to create a separate partition for Suse.

Obvious warning - back up all your important data before you experiment. Having said that, I found the addition of linux to be straight forward.

01chris 17:18 14 Sep 05

the version on my disc is suse linux 9.2 personal

Diodorus Siculus 17:28 14 Sep 05

I've installed that onto a laptop which had XP already installed.
All worked fine but there are problems with connecting via dial up modem. If you are on BB you will be ok.

Sus 9.3 personal is also available for download - mail me if you would like it on CD.

Yoda Knight 18:29 14 Sep 05

Xandros is very easy to install and configure and I would recommend it for Newbies to Linux (having tried multiple versions myself - I can now install Linux like a pro, pity I cant use it !)

click here for a free download

01chris 18:32 14 Sep 05

What does it do?

01chris 18:34 14 Sep 05

but this is just a test to see what it is like.

I wont bother with the newest version, thanks anyway

Yoda Knight 18:42 14 Sep 05

If you mean Xandros... what does it do ???

Never mind....

octal 19:04 14 Sep 05

Just a word of warning. If you install one of the free versions, be aware that they are 'basic bones' systems. You are expected to have a certain level of Linux experience to be able to install programmes etc.

I personally think you are better off purchasing one of the distributions which has all the programmes you are likely to use already installed which gives you a head start, otherwise you will have grief trying to install what you want and I'm worried it might put you off using Linux.

I've been using Xandros for 18 months since Xandros version 2. I'm glad I went for the paid for version because it gave be time to get used to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac