Linux and Windows :)

woodbexhill 19:32 28 Jul 03

Ok, this is such a typical newbie question, and is probably asked all the time, although I couldn't find it under search but ok...

I have 3 PC's on my network, one running Linux. On the Linux box I'd like to run some things like psybnc and some eggdrops, the problem however is that i dont know how if it is all possible to share the internet connection from my Windows PC (connected through a USB Alcatel Speedtouch modem) through my network hub to my Linux PC. My connection is currently shared between this (my Windows PC), and my laptop, also on Windows through Windows Internet Connection Sharing.

I currently have Redhat 9 installed, my network card (FA311 I belive) is on the Linux compatibility list but i dont htink linux detected it.

ANy help on this topic wud be very much appreciated but please bare in mind i have very very little linux knowledge.

Any thing else you'd like to know, just ask

Chegs ® 20:54 28 Jul 03

I would think that you would need to do a whole load of reading on Networking Linux.I tried to Network two Linux machines and gave up very quickly,when my Linux knowledge ran out.I successfully networked two windows pcs,so assumed (wrongly)that to join two Linux pcs would be very similar.As soon as I tried booting up the Linux box,I knew it was missing the network,as the puter hung for a while,then reported the network as not connected(or similar message as it was a while back)and continued to boot into Linux.click here is a start,and a search on goole would probably reveal hundreds more places of info.(or you could hope Taran strays on this thread,as he is right upto-date on all things Linux)

Taran 21:13 28 Jul 03

Check in your hardware configuration to make certain that your network card was detected. You should have seen this during the final stages of setting up the OS and should have been prompted to supply network details.

To network share between Linux and Windows you need to install and configure Samba which allows a common dumping ground to be established that both Windows and Linux can see and use for file sharing.

The USB modem is likely to prove the linchpin here; USB support, especially for modems is a little off the rails at times. You are effectively looking at Internet Connection Sharing via the hub or a direct peer to peer network connection through the hub where your Linux box is instructed to obtain its Internet feed through LAN (aka your hub).

Quite frankly, it's not going to be a walk in the park for your particular setup. A router is far easier where your network is fed from the router ports which all get their external feed from your Internet connection. This Internet > router > LAN ports works almost flawlessly for broadband sharing with one possible exception; some routers do not support Linux (or even Apple Macs, which run on a seriously pepped up version of BSD Linux).

If you are uncertain how to check your hardware configuration to see whether you have a recognised network card installed, post again and I'll try and get back to this.

I'm away for a few days though, which may stretch into a couple or three weeks if the mood takes me, so it might be a while before I get the chance to come back to you on this.

Hope you get somewhere with it.

Regards

Taran

Taran 21:16 28 Jul 03

I forgot to say that you may find it simpler to set up the Linux box as your main Internet connection and run the Windows computers through it.

Linux in any flavour has some very nice packet filtering and general security capabilities and it works beautifully as a system for increasing your overall Internet/network security, as long as you know what you are doing. If you don't, the exact reverse is true and you can end up more vulnerable.

woodbexhill 00:23 29 Jul 03

when i reboot NIC was detected, and I clicked some stuff :D cant quite remember what exactly and it automatically took internet connection from my Windows PC, that was all i wanted, didnt care about the networking for files etc. much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…