Linux on a WIN 98 Celeron

iqs 19:39 16 Nov 07

Hi,After a few days of trying to correct errors on my neighbours PC,and the added problem of no OS disc to re-install WIN 98.He as decided to change the OS to Linux.

Question,which version should he use,and what is the procedure for installing over WIN 98 please.

Sorry for asking the forum members yet another question.But hopefully this should be the last question from him via me.

Once again thanks

woodchip 19:44 16 Nov 07

Before going the Hog, try creating a Live CD so he can try it by booting with a CD it loads runs from memory after it loads not Hard Drive click here

octal 20:01 16 Nov 07

A lot of members on here use PCLinuxOS including me which looks and works very close to Windows, but what are the specs of your neighbours first?

woodchip says try it in Live CD mode first before installing, nearly all the Linux Distributions will let you do that and if all your hardware works OK that in most of them it's just a case of clicking on the install button and following the wizard, specs first though please.

DieSse 21:22 16 Nov 07

The most popular versions are Ubuntu or Kubuntu - and PCLinuxOS.

It depends how much RAM and what speed Celeron you have as to what is most appropriate. Let us know and better advice can be given.

For older systems with lower RAM, Xubuntu amd some other versions would be preferable.

iqs 15:26 17 Nov 07

woodchip,octal and DieSse,

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the delay,the curse of working different shifts to my neighbour.

His PC has 256mb,and he believes its about 996mhz???.He cant be sure.It is very old.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

octal 15:50 17 Nov 07

That's plenty fast enough for nearly all the normal Distributions provided he doesn't want to use 3D graphics which are just eye candy anyway as far as I'm concerned.

Can I suggest PCLinuxOS, there are a few here who use it including me click here

Don't forget to run it as a live CD first to make sure everything works OK before you install it. Just one word of warning, if your neighbour is using a dialup modem it might not work with Linux, I say might not but I understand PCLinuxOS quite often does work, but generally it can be a Linux problem.

DieSse 16:02 17 Nov 07

Nothing against trying PCLinuxOS - but I would also try Xubuntu (which has lighter RAM requirements), and at least one other recent distro, perhaps Mint.

See where to pick up downloads, and what the latest distros are at distro watch click here

iqs 16:06 17 Nov 07

Hi and thanks for the help.

Question how do you install the OS once it has been copied to a CD has a ISO image please.

Do I need to chnage the boot setting in the BIOS?.

Cheers

octal 16:24 17 Nov 07

Once you've downloaded the ISO image burn it to a CD and you should end up with a CD with a load of files on it.

Go to the BIOS and make sure the CD drive is the first to boot, then put the CD in the drive reboot the computer, it will load the operating system into RAM, it won't load anything onto the hadr drive at this stage.

octal 16:24 17 Nov 07

Once you've downloaded the ISO image burn it to a CD and you should end up with a CD with a load of files on it.

Go to the BIOS and make sure the CD drive is the first to boot, then put the CD in the drive reboot the computer, it will load the operating system into RAM, it won't load anything onto the hard drive at this stage.

octal 16:25 17 Nov 07

Sorry about the double post, typo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now