Linux - which One???

Harry 18:06 24 Aug 05

I have a spare 2Gb spare hard disk which i want to connect as a slave. I always wanted to check out linux but 2Gig isnt a lot. I only want to play simple games and and connect to the internet on this OS.

Can some one lead me to an easy to install, not heavy on the bytes linus OS please? I am a complete beginner with linux so any download links will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pooke 18:23 24 Aug 05

just downloaded xandros quite good, my ntl internet worked without me having to do anything!
click here

You have to use the bittorrent, thing just follow the instructions.
Pooke

octal 18:41 24 Aug 05

2GB is not really enough. The open Circulation Xandros that Pooke has offered needs at least 1.5GB, the Open Circulation is a bare bones system and as you start adding components it will eat away at the disk space click here

I'm not sure about the other distributions, but the Linux core is the same so my guess is the require similar amounts of space.

Pooke 18:59 24 Aug 05

I never looked at the min requirements. I was installing it on a large hdd so never paid attention.

Sorry.

Mikè 19:08 24 Aug 05

Try click here They do a 'Live Cd' that you can boot from without installing anything on yout HDD.

But I think you will need more than 2 gig's to install most distributions of Linux.

LastChip 20:08 24 Aug 05

If you just want to try it and see what it's like, it will go on 2Gigs.

In fact, I have it installed on an experimental machine that has eight operating systems on it and Xandros is on a 2Gig partition.

If you want to try a "live" CD, Knoppix is a favourite click here but be aware, as running from a CD is comparatively slow, you don't get a real "feel" for what Linux is all about.

ashdav 22:25 24 Aug 05

For anyone who wants further info click here
click here
click here

kjrider 09:59 25 Aug 05

I got this version on a mag cover disc, a couple of months back. It all installed fine and worked, found the printer driver for my Laser printer, my network, internet connection, and can burn CDs. comes with an Internet browser, games and Open Office on it. Am running it on a 3.2Gig HD that i just plug into a HD caddy for my PC. Its a 1Ghz AMD chip, 256Mg Ram.

Have tried a few other Linux, and was not too impressed.

Keith.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…