Linux, whats it like, is yoper 2.1.0-4 any good???

nopulse 14:22 12 Apr 05

I've just bought Linuxuser mag with 2 free Linux OS's on it. The first is Xandros Desktop OS 3 and the second is Yoper 2.1.0-4. I've never used linux and ive never seen it running but ive been taking not of it the last month as it seems to be everywhere. I'm running xp pro have done for sometime its ok and my main uses are internet, games, burning, and connecting my mobile to load stuff on it. I like the idea of Yoper 2.1.0-4 because it says its high performance and optimised for speed but as i dont know much about them am i gonna be any better off and is it gonna make things any easier. Also my system is a P3 736 with 256 memory so will my system run any of these linux OS's??????

Diodorus Siculus 14:26 12 Apr 05

I can assure you that it is not [quote]gonna make things any easier[/quote :-)

I use Suse 9.2 mostly now (all the time on my laptop) and it takes a lot of learning.

If you are going to install linux, be sure that you have an up to date backup and be prepared for a steep learning curve.

nopulse 14:28 12 Apr 05

will it wipe xp off my harddrive if i install it?????

Diodorus Siculus 14:29 12 Apr 05

[quote]However, Yoper is not like general purpose distros such as Redhat or Mandrake. It is a high performance Desktop OS. It is compact. It resides on 1 cd-rom. In fact, Yoper is also one of the most standards-based environments in the Linux community! You will find hardware performance as good or better than that of any commercial OS.[/quote]

Just read the above from

YOPER: Your Operating System
click here

Do you need to install it, or will it run from CD? If the later, then no harm in trying it out.

Diodorus Siculus 14:30 12 Apr 05

nopulse - it should not; most linux will install alongside XP but there is still the need for caution.

nopulse 14:31 12 Apr 05

i have it on a cd come free on mag, it will run straight from cd??????

Yoda Knight 14:35 12 Apr 05

plug it in the drive and see. If it asks for a partition to install on, then abort the install. Surely there are instructions for use ???

nopulse 14:38 12 Apr 05

no instructions in mag just tells u a bit about what its like. was unsure about putting in cdrom untill i heard what other people had to say.
Better safe than sorry

Diodorus Siculus 14:42 12 Apr 05

I think that you will be best to be safe. Many users of Linux mess up their Windows install which is not impossible to fix, but does require caution.

nopulse 14:46 12 Apr 05

1 other thing, if i use it and i like is it easy to create my network connection on it as thats 1 thing that i really need. I'm not the sharpest pc user im just making sure i can do it all before i try it cos if this pc goes wrong im up the river without a paddle

Indigo 1 14:51 12 Apr 05

I have only used Mandrake for a limited time and was not over impressed (couldn't wait to get back to XP Pro). I found it slow and very clumsy, talk about a steep learning curve, but having said that I am quite intersted in some of the newer versions that are about, if I find that I have a lot of spare time in the future I might be tempted to try again. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…