Linux Web Server

Ronnie268 07:14 14 Jul 08

I am building a website hosted at home.

At the moment I am using Windows 2000, but with support and updating options, I would like to move to Linux.

I tried Debian server, but it has no Graphical User Interface and configuring the domain name is really difficult.

What Linux Server Distributions have a Graphical User Interface (GUI) as default?

Thanks,

Ronnie 268

LastChip 10:48 14 Jul 08

and then install the "lamp" server.

l: Linux
a: Apache
m: MySQL
p: PHP

click here_(software_bundle)

You can always get rid of anything within the desktop that you don't want, by using the package manager to un-install those packages.

Then use webmin or something similar to access the server components.

There's huge amounts of help available on-line.

It'll do everything you want.

Or, install a GUI onto Debian (which is a superb server) and then webmin in the same manner.

If you use the command:

apt-get update

will update your system database to the latest packages.

Next, the command:

apt-get upgrade

will bring your system up to date.

Now, the command:

apt-cache search kde

or

apt-cache search gnome

you should find a whole list of KDE (or gnome) related packages.

The command:

apt-get install [package name]

will install anything you want, so at this point, you could install either the KDE or Gnome desktop and then webmin to control your server via a GUI.

The command:

startx

should fire up your chosen desktop.

If it were me, the Debian option is the path I'd take, as I feel it's a better option, with a far less bloated footprint and oh so stable! (this is being written on Debian).

To answer your original question, you will find almost no Linux servers that have a GUI as "standard", as it is thought in the server world, they are an unwelcome overhead, but as more and more ex-Windows users join in, GUI's are becoming more commonplace as an addition.

Ronnie268 12:18 14 Jul 08

Thank you very much for the help.

I used Debian on my previous server, but couldn't configure apache to work with either dyndns.com or noip.com. Is there a GUI for apache or another such program with GUI?

Ronnie 268

LastChip 12:33 14 Jul 08
  Ronnie268 20:03 22 Aug 08

Brilliant. Thank you for all replies.

You can see my website happily running thanks to you at click here

Regards,

Ronnie 268

LastChip 14:04 23 Aug 08

Glad it worked for you.

A couple of notes.

Your blog link doesn't work; I get a message "connecting to 192.168.0.2", which of course is an internal address.

If you think about linking any Linux User Groups (LUGS), I'd be delighted to give you the first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…