linux .vs. windows ------- the final fronteir-----

j-anarchy 16:54 30 Mar 03

hi i wanna start using linux instead of windows because it is a better system(i think)but i would like to keep windows at the same time considering i have many useful programs on it how much space would it take up and would you tell me your expieriences and the effeects with this type of thing

powerless 17:19 30 Mar 03

I'm still getting used to Linux. I'm now running Mandrake Linux 9.0 and it takes a little getting used to. At the moment i'm having trouble copying a file from a CD to a folder "Access Denied" so i got to find the solution soon :-)

This is stopping me from accessing the internet.

Linux is different for one thing you see whats going on when it is starting because you see all of the processes which i find intersting to watch also on shutdown "Sending all processes the TERM signal" i think it says...In windows you do not see this, it's a secret "shhhh".

When i installed Linux it was a breeze but read very carefully what it tells you...
For Example Hard Drives in Linux are known as "hda". Takes a bit of getting used to...

Also it comes bundled with an Office suite, Again trying to use that...

I did have Redhat Linux 8.0 which was a little over the top for me as you have to create "Kernals" just to have my modem up and running - 14 pages of instructions on how to do this. A little complicated for me. Madrake 9.0 is easier.

I have two HDD's on my computer...

1) 120 GB

2) 3GB

I have everything Windows on the 120 Drive and Linx stuff on the 3 Drive...

To boot into Linux i change the Boot device to the Secondary Master and hey presto I'm Linuxing...

You can install Linux on to the same drive as Windows but you need a seprate partiton or even better free space to do this. Linux will create its own partition or you can do it yourself...But i left it to Linux.

When i did have Windows and Linux on the same drive you can use a boot loader and a boot disc.

You have the option to install a boot loader when installing Linux. So when you start your computer your given the option to boot into Windows or Linux.

You can also use a boot disc so when you start your computer you boot right into windows or pop the boot disc in and you boot into Linux.

It's "Easy" to do...

Just takes getting used to.

Linux recognised all of the hardware and picked everything up.

From memory a full install of Linux is about 4GB so you need alot of space. Minimum is about 450MB...

I downloaded both Redhat which took about 12 Hours and Mandrake took the same.

You then have to burn the Images to CD...

Once you've done this you can install.

Just gotta used to it.

powerless 17:22 30 Mar 03

Just gotta get used to it. - i mean

Taran 17:49 30 Mar 03

Do lots and lots of research and preparation prior to experimenting with Linux.

It (Linux) is extremely capable, on one condition; you have to know how to get the best out of it.

This means you need to do some research to verify your hardware compatibility, some programming skills are handy to have, familiarity or available help with command line tools is also useful, although the latest releases of Linux can do pretty much all configuration in GUI mode, and either a broadband internet connection or a dedicated hardware modem is essential, or you won't have internet access at all.

Assuming you invest in something like SuSE or Mandrake, you will have all the software you could ever need on the DVD or CD's that make up these distributions. They come with server software, client software, office suites (yes that was a plural), more programming environments for the C language derivatives than you could shake a stick at, as well as MySQL and Apache for web hosting and similar. You also get DVD, audio and video playing software, CD burning packages and...

Get the idea ?

Migrating from Windows to Linux exclusively is not something to be done lightly. It is a steep and often difficult learning curve, it requires a completely different approach to everything you thought you knew, and it really does need a lot of knowledge coupled with ability to get the best out of.

I always recommend either a dual boot Windows/Linux system to play with until you know enough to migrate or until you have learned enough to not want to migrate, or using a sacrificial computer if you have the luxury of a spare system to install and play with Linux is an excellent starting point.

dth 19:55 30 Mar 03

Excellent advice as always.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…