linux red hat 9 and win 98se

choffe 10:24 15 Sep 03

i tried to install linux red hat 9 on my computer but it won't recognise my hard drive.
every time i try it gets as far as asking me if i want to manually set partition or automatically assign a set space. and then backs up saying it cannot locate media to install red hat.
i am running a p4 800 fsb system on a 875pneo mb with a 120gig seagate barracuda 72000 rpm hdd all my other hardware is compatible but it just wont install, any ideas?

choffe 16:20 15 Sep 03

come on guys, please, does anybody have any ideas?

dth 17:03 15 Sep 03

Something is obviously going wrong?

Is your disc already partitioned? Is the install CD pre-manufactured or have you made a ISO yourself?

choffe 17:14 15 Sep 03

i have 2 partitions,and the disk is made from an iso, but that checked out ok i fear that i may need to format the hdd first, but if i do and it dont work, i have to go through installing 98 again..

dth 17:21 15 Sep 03

Sorry just to clarify you have the one hard disc - split into two partitions not two hard discs?

I assume Win 98 is on the C dtive. What do you have on the D drive? If nothing is the drive formatted?

choffe 17:34 15 Sep 03

sorry, one hard drive in two partitions, 1st partition is used by win98 and seconed by a program called restore it

hard drive is drive c and drive d is a dvd rom

dth 17:41 15 Sep 03

Just finishing work now - so I thought I'd best post back with further info.

Would suggest that if you have any data on drive D - that you move it over to Drive C if possible. If drive D is empty format the drive (using Fat 32) - to do this just go into Windows Explorer and right click on the drive D icon and select format.

Re-start you p/c and change the BIOS to boot from the CD drive. I use Suse Linux but assume the set up with Redhat will be similiar. The installation should set up basic configeration info - this will be the basic hardware and suggest a partition for Linux. Should pick up that Drive D is available and will suggest that a chunk of Drive D is used. If you accept - it should then reduce the size of your Drive D to create two partitions for Linux on Drive D. Linux uses a different file system to Windows and the page file uses a separate partition.

One other point I would suggest - is the Linux boot up instructions. I suspect that Redhat will default to installing a boot manager (Grub usually) - in the options change this to a boot floppy.

If you let Grub install everytime you start your P/C you will have an option menu to run windows or linux. This is fine unless you decide to get rid of Linux in the future. If you choose the floppy disc route - then you will need to boot from the floppy (when you want to run Linux to get the boot menu). You can later install Grub on the mbr if you wish.

choffe 17:44 15 Sep 03

thankyou dht i will try this an post my results 2morrow.

dth 09:52 16 Sep 03

How did you get on?

choffe 13:27 17 Sep 03

hmm, i checked my partitions out on drive c, and a program called restore it has made it's partition inaccessible, due to the nature of its work i guess, do you think this backup program may be stopping the install?
unfortunately, i only have the one hard drive,so the other advice diddn't resolve my problem, but thankyou for your help.

woodchip 15:33 17 Sep 03

You do not need a partition for Linux, only free space on your hard drive. Use Partition Magic or some other to resize partition to leave about 8 to 10Gb free RedHat will pick it up and it will create a Linux partition and a swap file from the free space. if the iso's do not work and you have NERO start NERO shut wizard etc so you can see main page go to file click on Burn Image and point it to the ISO you want to Burn

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…