linux password setup

harps1h 19:57 02 May 05

need help how to do this as i have not a clue how to do it.

octal 19:59 02 May 05

You haven't really explained what you're trying to do, are you intending to install Linux? Or is it already installed?

harps1h 20:05 02 May 05

this is for assignment work. unfortunately whilst i can navigate xp with no problem linux is a complete mystery. i need to know how to setup password protection, customise the desktop, perform a simple backup of a hard disk and setup file/directory structures

octal 20:16 02 May 05

Have you decided on what version of Linux? If you haven't I highly recommend Xandros click here it very closely resembles Windows. Its very secure, unfortunately you won't be able to view the Linux partition from Windows, but you can view Windows from Linux. Just another word of warning, you can read/write from Linux to FAT32 but you can only read an NTFS partition.

Each user has their own password in Linux, root has their own password for maintenance of the Kernel, a user can grant permissions to other users as to what folders/files they can access in their profile.

harps1h 20:20 02 May 05

can you recommens a site where i can get either a walkthrough or images of the above as i need to provide both

octal 20:25 02 May 05

This gives pretty comprehensive instructions on installing Xandros, I expect the other distributions give equally good instructions as well.

click here

harps1h 20:35 02 May 05

that is superb. thank you

harps1h 22:51 02 May 05

^

harps1h 07:33 03 May 05

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…