//some 3rd party need geo

Linux OS

Madpad_001 20:41 26 Jan 05

I have just read the article about linux OS in the March 05 (Issue 116)and I am very interestedin trying it out, but I have some questions?

1. Will my firewall (zonealarm Pro) anti Virus (Norton 2005) still work ok?

2. If I install it as a second OS on one computer will all the programs intalled on xp Home still work in linux? or will I have to reinstall them in Linux?

3. What about all the drivers for my computer are they compatable with Linux?

Hope this make sense to you all.

Cheers

madpad.

PS sorry for my bad english.

JonnyTub 20:43 26 Jan 05

your firewalls won't work with linux, but there are others readily available, and yes you will have to reinstall your programmes on linux.

JonnyTub 20:44 26 Jan 05

there's only one way to find out if your drivers are fully compatible, try a live cd which boots from the cd and doesn't install anything onto the hd, a sort of trial run if you like. suse or knoppix tend to be my choice

octal 21:55 26 Jan 05

I use Xandros Linux click here which works well on my system.

This will give a list of hardware that is supported: click here

Zone Alarm or Nortons won't work in Linux, Firewalls are quite often supplied with the distribution, my one has its own firewall, but some use one called Firestarter.

Anti-virus is not generally needed with Linux, although they are available I have not installed one on the present system. My old system I installed one, but it didn't find anything in nearly a year, I've upgraded and not bothered.

All the Linux distributions will dual boot with whatever other operating system is on your machine, just make sure you follow the instructions for installing carefully, Linux will take over your whole hard drive if you let it.

Some Windows applications will run on my version of Linux using an application called Crossover by Codeweavers, this lets me run MS Office 2000 package, again I haven't bothered because I find OpenOffice as good, if not better which is supplied with most versions of Linux.

Hope this is of help? And don't worry about your English, its perfectly understandable, well done!

Madpad_001 22:01 26 Jan 05

JonnyTub & octal

You have been a great help,

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…