LINUX OS

TJ Macintosh 22:31 12 Aug 03

Can anyone give me the exact direct link to Download Linux OS, because I would like to install it onto one of the partitions on my computer. Thanks a lot, please can u make sure it is reasonably easy to download it as well, thank you.

powerless 22:37 12 Aug 03

There is no exact direct link to linux. There are many distroubutions of linux so its a question of which one do you want?

click here

click here

"...please can u make sure it is reasonably easy to download it as well, thank you" - What connection do you have, it will take it's time.

TJ Macintosh 22:39 12 Aug 03

I hane a 576Kbps BB connection so no worries, I actualy meant, easy to find the Download link on the link u giv me! Thanks Powerless

TJ Macintosh 22:42 12 Aug 03

Powerless, on the REDHAT i found something it saysDISC 1, DISK 2, DISK 3

Do i have to downloadall three. coz I have started downloading DISK 1, which alone is 608Mb

TJ Macintosh 22:43 12 Aug 03

And on Mandrake u have to become a paying member or something like that I think

powerless 22:44 12 Aug 03

If you want the whole of redhead then yes all 3 disks are needed. You can install it with just the one disk, but then it's rubbish so i would download all 3.

You dont have to pay at mandrake.

TJ Macintosh 22:45 12 Aug 03

Ok cool, ill do all three, Have u ever done this? Can u give advice on how it all works?! Please

powerless 22:51 12 Aug 03

Yup, i downloaded all three at the sametime. It took 14 hours.

Be very careful when you install not to accidently wipe windows of your computer.

When you come to install read everything twice.

When it comes to the bootloader. You can install the linux one or you can use a bootdisk. If you use the linux bootloader when you start your computer you'll have a screen to either boot into windows or linux. If you use a boot disk then a floppy is needed to boot into linux. I use a floppy.

When you come to install you'll have the option to check the media for errors in other words if the download was succesful. If you dont get a "pass" - download it again. There is a downloadable checker but i never used that.

TJ Macintosh 23:11 12 Aug 03

Thanks Powerless, if u dont mind I will keep this issue open so as I can inform u of when I have downloaed them. I will also try what u did and download all three at the same time.

TJ Macintosh 23:12 12 Aug 03

Am I supposed to download the i386

TJ Macintosh 23:12 12 Aug 03

...i386 files because I have an everyday PC, with Windows XP running?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…