Linux newbie humbly begs for assistance

Amry 17:53 04 Feb 03

O grizzled masters of Unix and Linux, this most humble and unworthy initiate begs for your assistance....

Er... okay, seriously. After a long time, I finally decided to install Red Hat Linux 8.0 on my computer. I created a 10GB partition for it, and it now resides and co-exists happily with my Windows XP. But I got a few questions....

1. Everytime I'm in a terminal, the prompt says ([email protected]). Is there a way I can change it? My computer isn't connected to the Internet, but I do like a better name... or failing that, a better prompt.

2. My HDD is around 80GB. It's divided like this : 20 GB for Windows and program files (NTFS), 10 GB for Linux (ext3), 1 GB for Linux swap file (er... swap), 2.5 GB "temporary drive" (FAT32) and the rest is dedicated for games and my personal files (NTFS).

From what I know, Linux can't read NTFS partitions, but I can read FAT ones (which is why I create the 2.5GB temp partition). But... how do I access the temp partition? I looked in the /mount dir, but all I found is /floppy, /cdrom, /cdrom1 and /zip. Or am I looking at the wrong place?

3. Is there a way to invoke the Disk Druid, or any Linux disk-partition program, via the terminal? What should I type?

4. I downloaded new GeForce drivers for Linux, and I got two files, with one of them that's supposed to do something to the Linux kernel. The files, tarred (or is it gzipped?) and all... well, how do I install it?

5. I wrote a little code, just for fun (well... actually, it's just a "Hello World" program, to test the waters). But when I tried to compile it (with the command "cc", I got a message "cannot find iostream.h". Further pokings led me to a directory with the file iostream.h, but... c'mon, can't I just compile it in my own home directory instead of that directory? (I think the directory is /lib/c++/3.2/include or something like that). Is there a Linux equivalent of DOS's PATH command? (incidentally, when I modify my source code to "include ../../lib/c++/3.2/include/iostream.h>, it sprouts out some error... *groan*).

That's all for today, folks. Oh, and my system configuration :

AMD Athlon 1900XP+
80GB HDD, 1024 RAM
Windows XP Home Edition SP1 + Red Hat Linux 8.0
SoundBlaster Audigy
GeForce 3 Ti500 64MB

p/s : on installation, Linux automatically detect and have native support for my SB Audigy... a feat that even WinXP can't do. Bravo!

ams4127 19:42 04 Feb 03

I am a newbie like you so can't help with most of your questions as I am still stumbling around in the dark too!

I am running SuSE 8.1 and downloaded the Nvidia drivers. I got the RPM versions rather than TAR.
Having got them onto my disk all I did was right click and select 'install' from the menu. It all worked perfectly. You must install the kernel first. Don't forget to reconfigure your card for 3D acceleration.

Sorry I can't help with anything else but there are some experts here who, I'm sure, will.

zoomer 20:09 04 Feb 03

err, off the top of my head I think to change the prompt , type export PS1=`Hello` (single quotes around the text string) and this would change the prompt to Hello........ well maybe lol , type man export for help

zanwalk 21:37 04 Feb 03

I think you need the maestro for this one, Taran where are you?

Daedrus 00:32 07 Feb 03

Not being too far past the newbie level myself I can't help on all of your problems, but I can point you in the right direction for some. First you need to find out what the partition number is for your fat32 partition. (hda4 possibly) Once you know this you have to create a mount point for it in /mnt. I create /mnt/fdisk on my own system. Then you want to associate the mount point with the partition. In Red Hat 8.0 you want to add an entry in /etc/fstab. Your entry would look something like

/dev/hda4 /mnt/fdisk vfat defaults 0 0

Do a search on the net for fstab and you should be able to find info on the proper configuration.

I recommend downloading the instruction files for Nvidia. I found them incredibly useful for setting up my GeForce card. Most files you download are either in .rpm or .tar.gz format. You can use the command tar xvfz to unzip and untar a file. From there you have to get used to the ./configure, make, and make install process. Rpms are always the easiest way to go because you don't have to go through that process.

Hope this was helpfull. Have fun.

Daedrus 00:34 07 Feb 03

As root you can run fdisk for partitioning. Also look up information on the export command. This command allows you to and locations to PATH. I would give you more information on it, but my books that I use are at work.

Amry 13:51 07 Feb 03

*shuts down due to sheer frustation*

erghh... the NVIDIA drivers did include instructions. But...

For example, in the file where I'm supposed to re-compile the kernel, the instructions asked me to type "make". Well, I did. But the computer spits out "error code 1" or something to similar effect. ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I'm not mistaken, the kernel is the super-important, core part of an OS, right? So why do I have to re-compile it just to update the device driver? Can you imagine replacing WIN.COM everytime a new driver, patch and/or service pack comes out? *shudder*.

MartinT-B 14:06 07 Feb 03

I will admit to being too scared to load linux!

Try: - click here - now called justlinux click here

linux online help click here (takes ages to load!) click here

Good luck

Eddie986 19:02 16 Oct 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…