Linux modem recognition

Jolly Jin 18:34 06 May 06

I am a complete Linux virgin, so please make any help simple to understand!

I have installed Xandros Desktop 3 OC on a laptop, which originally has ME as the operating system.

Xandros installed smoothly, dividing the hard-drive with no problem. The difficulty is that it does not seem to recognize the built in modem. It asks to search, and comes up with '0' as the number of suitable drives. If I go to manual search I am offered modems which do not match the one on the lap-top. I have tried some, but it reacts as if there is not one there at all.

There is no problem with the "side by side" ME system. It recognizes the modem and I am able to install my ISP settings and connect to the internet without problem.

I used Xandros on the recommendation of the Sunday Times, where the writer had installed it on a relatives lap-top. I am just wondering about the disc supplied - does the word "Desktop" have any significance, whereas I am using a lap-top? Any help to get this installed would be appreciated. Without a net connection I am very limited as to my use of Linux

ashdav 18:44 06 May 06

I've tried Xandros Desktop 3 and found it to be a bit limited in its recognition of hardware. It wouldn't work with my wireless card.
You would probably be better off using SuSe 10 as this is known to be more hardware compatible and looks virtually the same as Xandros. It also uses YaST to install external software applications easily.
The term "Desktop" in Xandros is used to differentiate it from the server version by the way. It will run on a laptop providing the hardware is compatible. It's always a bit hit and miss with Linux in this area.

ashdav 02:00 07 May 06

As an afterthought. Hardware drivers in Linux are often listed by the chipset rather than the retail name of the device. If you can identify the chipset manufacturer of your modem it may be listed in the Xandros applications as such.

ashdav 00:37 09 May 06

Before you install SuSE 10 be sure to read this click here

If you're doing a dual install with Windows I would recommend printing it out first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…