Linux Mint. Can you import bookmarks from XP FF bookmarks.

muddypaws 17:28 26 Apr 14
Answered

Question is as above. Can't seem to find a way. Many thanks.

rdave13 18:00 26 Apr 14

From Google. I don't know if it will help, though, gave up on Linux long ago. Too lazy :)

Simsy 18:02 26 Apr 14

It's not obvious, but...

On the "History" menu, choose "Show all history"... In the box that appears there is a "Import and Backup" dropdown menu....

On your XP setup use this and export th ebookmarks to html... save that file then on the Mint set up go via the same route and Import the html file.

I haven't actually done it myself... but I assume this will work!

Regards,

Simsy

muddypaws 18:59 26 Apr 14

Thanks to both of you. Will research.

LastChip 13:34 27 Apr 14

As far as I'm aware, the underlying platform is irrelevant. Firefox is Firefox wherever it sits. So the export/import should work - though I've never tried it.

Certainly, the export/import option exists in the Linux version.

csqwared 16:39 27 Apr 14

muddypaws

As LastChip says Firefox is Firefox. In XP/Firefox go to Bookmarks/Show All Bookmarks/Import and Backup/Backup and save the .json file to stick/car/removable drive. In Mint/Firefox same route as XP but choose Restore instead of Backup then /Choose File. Point to your stick/card/removable device and choose the .json file. Jobs a good'un.

csqwared 16:41 27 Apr 14

P.S.

I'm using Mint Maya and have a spare machine running XP. Just tried it.

muddypaws 19:26 27 Apr 14

csqwared

Won't seem to do it for me, but that is probably because I am still running from the iso dvd.

csqwared 20:20 27 Apr 14

Don't understand that, just run a Live DVD (Mint 12) on my spare machine and the bookmarks copy over as described earlier. Not wanting to teach granny to suck eggs but you did click on the 'Open' button at the bottom right of the window containing the .json file which opened after 'Choose File'?

muddypaws 22:11 27 Apr 14

csqwared

Not sure I saw the .json file though. Will look again tomorrow. Thanks.

csqwared 09:29 28 Apr 14

muddypaws

When you get to the /Backup window in XP it shows a filename in the bar at the top, usually something like "bookmarks-2014-04-28.json" and saves that file to whatever device you are using for backup. When 'Restoring' to Mint look for that file in your device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…