Linux mandrake 9.2 help

SumKindaMonster 20:51 14 Feb 04

Help ive installed linux mandrake 9.2 on microsoft virtual pc 2004 as im planning on changing from winxp to linux but i want to get used to it before doing anything too drastic.

it boots up to a point where it says localhost login
i then login and it says ([email protected] tony)$

what do i do from here?

powerless 21:23 14 Feb 04

SumKindaMonster 21:24 14 Feb 04

ok thanks

LastChip 22:18 14 Feb 04

I hope by now, you've had success. Strangely enough, when I read your post, I was in the middle of loading Mandrake 9.2 on to a quad boot machine that I use to experiment with and evaluate systems and programs.

I have to say, after RedHat 9.0 (which is tremendously improved), Mandrake does look the business for the home user.

The installation was a non-event, booting straight from the CD ROM and following the graphic presentation. Like RedHat, it auto-configured onto my network and I had instant Internet access ,via Konqueror.

But I think the most impressive thing about it, is the delightful graphic interface via KDC, and the mouse now has a lot more control over what opens, and if you so wish, I think it's at a stage where it can be operated just like Windows; not a command line in sight!

For example, just with the mouse, I mounted (made the drive available) a drive from one of my other computers, opened a Word document complete with graphics in Open Office and could work on it instantly without problems. All formatting etc. seemed unchanged.

All it needs is for more people to become aware of how far these Linux disro's have moved on, before they get their rightful place in the market.

OK, if your looking at leading edge applications, then maybe Linux is not for you, but most folk only want to write the occasional letter, surf the internet and maybe burn a CD or two, all of which Linux is more than capable of.

Good luck with your experimentation!

woodchip 23:10 14 Feb 04

SumKindaMonster 23:15 14 Feb 04

linux is neat it looks the business (better than xp) im having luck so far

Goycoolea 11:02 18 Feb 04

> it boots up to a point where it says localhost
> login i then login and it says
> ([email protected] tony)$

You might want to fire up Mandrake Control Center, and under Hardware -> XFdrake -> Options, then allow Mandrake to start X when you boot.

More generally, I've used Linux as my only desktop OS for the last few years and have found it more than capable. I started with Mandrake 8.x and absolutely no experience of Unix-based systems. I'm amazed when people say "Linux needs to do (a) (b) and (c)" before it is ready for the desktop*; I know it's been ready for *my* desktop since I started using it! ;) I can automatically mount _anything_ using autofs, upgrade the whole OS with one command, painlessly work with any file format I care to, do industrial-strength firewalling (it's overkill, but wouldn't you rather have the best available than some dodgy personal firewall?) etc. etc. It's extremely capable.

* where (a), (b), and (c) are either ridiculous statements like "X needs to die" or things that already exist - it's not the 1990's, man - like "Users need to be able to install programs by double-clicking them".

LastChip 18:36 18 Feb 04

In a matter of day's, I am at the stage where I can share anything I like betweem Linux and my Windows machines (either way) and print to printers linked to my Windows machines, in fact, do any "normal" job I wish to do.

Much of what I write on PCA is now via my Linux machine, as this is now.

As far as the more exotic applications are concerned, I am sure Linux is more than capable. It's just a question of learning what software will do what!

It's a whole new computing experience, and one I would thoroughly recommend!

Chegs ® 19:05 18 Feb 04

I have recently attempted to get round to the linux way of things,with Mandrake 9.2 and RedHat 9.I installed MDK onto my "spare" IDE hdd on my puter,but it boots up with the message about Fail-Safe desktop.I then tried installing my PCI Conexant modem,but had to give up as its "driver" files are known to be problematic.I then installed RedHat 9,as during my net searches for a driver for my modem,I found several RPM's(which are easy,just click to initiate)but no matter what I tried,the ADSL modem wouldn't function at all.I then installed the "spare" hdd in my daughters pc,and reinstalled RedHat 9,my thinking being its access to the net is via my puters connection(NIC)and after a few days of altering the linux files,I finally got the RH to almost online(I get a message in linux stating my proxy server software is in need of upgrading as there are to many users?)I have read/printed out for reference,several dozen pages of Howto's for linux,but I cannot find anything on how to cfg an NIC to access the net via an XP pc.My daughter is now asking for her pc back,so I will have to reinstate her hdd and wait till she is back to school to continue my foray into the unknown. ;-)

Goycoolea 21:40 18 Feb 04

"I then tried installing my PCI Conexant modem,but had to give up as its "driver" files are known to be problematic."

Should be all right. No harder than getting my crappy "FashionCam" working under Linux, I'll wager! Usually just a case of finding a HOWTO and following the steps like a recipie, e.g. -> click here

"I have read/printed out for reference,several dozen pages of Howto's for linux,but I cannot find anything on how to cfg an NIC to access the net via an XP pc."

Maybe I have had it easy. I've been able to connect to the Net using several flaky "Winmodems" under Linux, an Alcatel Frog ADSL modem and most recently an ADSL modem/router. The last one doesn't really count, it's so easy a five-year-old could set it up. :)

As I understand it, what you need to do it enable Internet Connection Sharing on the Windows machine, then just plug in the IP of the Windows box as default gateway on the Linux machine - making sure the IP addresses you've assigned and subnet mask make sense, of course. It should be easy! There are graphical tools for going this in most distros - but as usual it's quicker and easier from the command-line. It is more complicated if the Linux machine is the one connected to the Internet, but this is not what you want.

Goycoolea 21:42 18 Feb 04

Speaking of hardware support - let me tell you about the time I was using a Conexant 'winmodem' that, get this, worked perfectly under Linux but _not at all_ in Windows 2000! :D It was riduculous, rebooting into Linux every time I had a problem in Windows, searching the net, saving web pages onto a floppy & rebooting again. Gah!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…