LINUX Mandrake 10.0

pppc 22:06 25 Apr 04

I am thinking of installing Mandrake 10 from a magazine cover. The thread on mandrake 9 seems pretty encouraging. Will I be able to use my printers - HP DeskJet 500 and Canon i865? I can import WORD docs but what about WordPro?? Any problems with internet access?? I have a rockwell 56Kb modem.
Would appreciate any helpful comments/advice.

Peter C

powerless 22:22 25 Apr 04

click here

DeskJet 500 - Known Hardware.This hardware has been reported as compatible with Mandrakelinux by someone in our community of users and developers.

Canon i865 - We're sorry but there is no referenced hardware that matches your request.

Linux printing: click here

"I can import WORD docs but what about WordPro??" - Not sure but a guess yes.

"Any problems with internet access?? I have a rockwell 56Kb modem." - Just have to see.

woodchip 22:29 25 Apr 04

When you load Linux you are better with all hardware switched on so it can be seen

keith-236785 23:25 25 Apr 04

my canon mp360 will print ok on linux mandrake 9.1, but i havent tried the scan/copy functions yet.

try as i might i cannot get ntl broadband to work on mandrake, redhad detects it without fault.

popular items such as a rockwell chipset modem should be detected ok.

can't help with word pro as i dont have it, but all word files can be accessed through the linux office software.

try it as a dual boot, then if it goes wrong, at least you will still have windows.

pppc 07:32 26 Apr 04

Many thanks to all three of you. - The idea is to try it as a dual, boot - I think I'll give it a go.

PC

dth 11:44 26 Apr 04

Defo give it a go. Although Linux is very
different to Windows it is easy to pick up.

If you opt for the dual boot method you can
always just delete Mandrake if you don't like
it.

pppc 18:16 26 Apr 04

Again - many thanks to all. I will accept the fairly clear advice

PeterC

woodchip 20:20 26 Apr 04

You do not need a partition for Linux only some Free space on the Drive Mandrake will see the free space and ask you if you want to put it there click yes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…