//some 3rd party need geo

Linux installation

smudge101 22:23 19 Dec 04

Having just found an old 5 gig hard drive and installing as slave my thoughts turned to what to do with it.

What I would like to do is install my knoppix CD distro to this drive and although relatively new to linux I should have enough unix skills to do this ok.

What I would like to know, not having tried this before, is whether I will require a bootloader or will I just change my boot drive in Bios? Will it prevent me booting into XP Pro that is already installed on my Master hard drive?

Also I would be gateful for any info on setting up my Thompson ADSL USB modem, my ISP is Demon.

Any advice would be welcome.

LastChip 23:11 19 Dec 04

You can choose to load Knoppix to your spare drive and if you use the defaults, Linux will recognise XP Pro and include it on its own boot loader (normally Grub or Lilo). The downside to this, is if you don't like or can't get on with Linux, it's difficult to un-install without screwing up your XP installation.

Alternatively, you can use a third party Boot Manager, such as Boot Magic (part of the Partition Magic suite) or, you can choose to boot from a floppy, which I dislike due to the floppy's lack of reliability.

If you use a third party boot manager, make sure when you get to the part of the installation that deals with booting up, you choose to write the boot files to the first sector of the Linux drive (NOT the MBR), otherwise you will end up with the first option by default.

Overall, if you just want to "play" with Linux, the floppy method may not be a bad option, as if you like the system, you could always reload it at a later date, with one of the other options. Or maybe, if you get conversant enough, modify the boot files when the time comes.

smudge101 23:16 19 Dec 04

Thanks for that LastChip, I have used Linux before but not gone into it in depth. This installation will be semi permenant and I take your advice about boot loaders, I think I will go the third party route.

Thanks for your input.

Anybody know about setting up a USB modem under knoppix as I understand there are a few issues with this?

LastChip 23:27 19 Dec 04

click here for some information.

With patience, you'll probably succeed.

dth 15:59 20 Dec 04

Excellent advice from LastChip. Use the floppy disc option - as it gives you the greater flexibility. Also if use Grub or Lilo (on your Hard Drive) and Windows makes a mess of it - it can be difficult to boot into Linux OK.

smudge101 10:52 24 Dec 04

All sorted!!
I decided to go for the free distro of Xandros.
I installed to my spare hard drive and the loader gave me the option of which drive to put the bootloader on. So now I have the best of both worlds, I can use BIOS to choose which drive to boot and if I choose HD1 I get the bootloader options :-)

I also managed to cennect using the USB ADSL modem, took a bit of figuring out but I got there.

Thanks to everybody for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…