Linux games performance

3rdday 22:32 19 Jun 04

Can anyone advise me as to why games performance might be bad on my Linux system? While games perform perfectly adequately in Windows Me on the same PC, even simple games in Linux are impossible to play, with frame rates of less than one per second. I've tried both Mandrake Linux and Fedora Core and they are both the same in this respect. Both correctly identify the graphics card, so I presume that they have loaded the driver for it.

alan227 23:06 19 Jun 04

What is your graphics card.

woodchip 23:24 19 Jun 04

I have never had that problem, Even with a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee and only 16mb memory on board

3rdday 00:27 20 Jun 04

Card is a geforce 2 mx 32mb

powerless 00:47 20 Jun 04

Yeah, you'll need to update the graphics drivers.

click here

It is possible, not "that" easy but good luck.

Chegs ® 01:37 20 Jun 04

I have the same problem in any linux distro(Suse/RedHat/Mandrake)I tried.I am presently running Suse 9.1 on my other PC and I have d/l and installed (correctly,according to the readme) the latest NVidia driver.It made absolutely c**** all difference to the gaming ability of Suse/RH/MDK,the frame rate was still eyewateringly ssllooww.I also tried different GC's,TNT32/GF2 MX/Ti4600/Ti4800 (all NVIDIA tho')and am presently on the lookout for an Ati GC very cheap or to loan to see if linux's graphics ability is just totally crap or only crap with Nvidia cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5