Linux, and Epson scanner GT5000

Allan RISC OS user 16:48 21 Feb 03

When using Mandrake Linux, I have been able to get the OS to recognise the scanner and ask for a disc, so that Xsane can be loaded, but on attempting to scan I am advised that I need Xsane, can you help a new comer to the OS, also how do I get my Fuji USB camera to work?

I am only just trying to get to grips with Linux, but as yet has not fond a way to load any new applications, other than those on the install discs.

I obtained the DVD from Linux User magazine, from which I copied the CDs for the OS.

Allan RISC OS user 17:27 04 Dec 07

a

LastChip 01:32 06 Dec 07

Linux is poorly represented by scanner manufacturers and most do not supply drivers for Linux.

Having said that, some do work and often a search on the web will reveal how others have managed to implement their particular types.

If it's being recognised and you only need Xsane, you will have a package manager in Mandrake (Mandriva?), possibly Synaptic that will allow you to download (if necessary) and install Xsane. This is a simple point and click operation. Just select the package you require; mark for installation and click Apply.

While not directly related to your model, click here for some information that may help you, or at least give you an insight into what may be required.

As far as your Fuji camera is concerned, don't attempt to use the software supplied by Fuji. Just find the appropriate application in Mandrake for photograph management (may be digiKam) and connect your camera to the USB port (I assume it's USB) on your computer. It will probably recognise your camera and upload the images automatically. Ubuntu/Kubuntu is particularly good at this. Remember, you must unmount the camera BEFORE disconnecting it from the computer, or you may end up with corrupted files. If you can't find out how to do this, simply leave it plugged in until you shut down the machine and disconnect it then. (it will unmount as part of the shut down process).

I can't give you any more than generic advice, as I use PCLinuxOS and Debian, so do not have a Mandrake machine at hand to look at. But Mandrake do have a very active community and more advice may be available there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…