Linux Emmulator

RE1772 18:19 16 Aug 06

After years of being a Windows follower, i've decided to take the plunge and try Linux. One thing I'd like to know is whether the software/ games that i have bought will run on Linux (MS Money/ Far Cry etc) or do i need an emmulator similar to the Windows/ Mac thing i read about. Also what Linux is recommended for someone who wants to use it 'out of the box' - i dont want to play with it, I just want to install and use it similar to Windows (I know that everyone has their own favourite) -Thanks

Simsy 18:34 16 Aug 06

"live" linux CDs...

These are linux on a bootable CD, where you don't have to install to HDD.

The versions I have tried have all had a programme called "wine", (which I think/assume stands for "Windows emulator").

Some programme work using this, and some dont.

Irfanview, for example worked very well.

I suspect that games will be a bit to much of a challenge!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

SG Atlantis® 22:02 16 Aug 06

So you are on windows now, you wanna get Linux and make it emulate windows?

When ya have the real thing why bother.

Games won't run to well either... if at all.

SUSE, Xandros and Linspire are the ones often thrown round the forums if it helps.

DieSse 23:29 16 Aug 06

Zandros is particularly easy to use out of the box - there is a free download on their site. I currently have a dual boot Xandros/XP setup on my main drive. On a seperate drive I play with various new distros - the lates being Freespire, the free version of Linspire.

With Xandros you can get directly at your XP installation, and hence your data files for Office, which will work with OpenOffice. Xandros will see both FAT32 and NTFS partitions.

For games you need either the Linux version of the game (if there is one), or an emulator - Cedega (formerly known as WineX) is I understand games solution.

For MS Money you could look at GnuCash instead (free) which says it can import Money files.

DieSse 23:34 16 Aug 06

PS - all the comments you hear about how difficult it is tend to be somewhat out-of-date and unaware of the latest developments.

That's not to say the changeover is without effort - I haven't fully changed even after some time - but running both together simplifies things, and enables you to find solutions one by one, rather than all at once.

You'll have to get used to looking for the Linux equivalent versions of programs (eg GnuCash) - but they're mostly free, so you get to save shedloads of cash in return for the effort.

DieSse 23:35 16 Aug 06

Zandros?? - Xandros - Z and X are next to each other! - sorry.

vinnyT 10:53 17 Aug 06

Search google - linux+wine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…