Linux Distribution

Powersurf 10:41 03 May 06

I know there are sites that will send me a free cd of their linux system. Can anyone post any website i can do this. I am a beginner to linux so i want a few different types?

ashdav 10:46 03 May 06
  Taff™ 10:47 03 May 06

click here click here I would suggest you download a couple to start off with - I`ve used Knoppix and would reccommend it.

DieSse 10:49 03 May 06

If you're on Broadband, you can download them. Overnight I usually do it.

There are two types of distribution normally - what is called a "Live CD" - this enables you to run it entirely from the CD without affacting anything in your system at all.

And a full CD which you can install.

My suggestions as to the best to try first - Xandros - Ubuntu or Kubuntu (different desktop software - Ubuntu is Gnome - Kubuntu is KDE). There are many other however, and it would be a good idea to trawl around the main Linux sites for more info.

If you want a plug and go operation much like Windows - then I would recommend Xandros as a first try. Xandros can install automatically - will probably find most of your hardware right away - partions your hard drive and sets up dual boot with Windows - and allows you access to all your data stored in Windows. Bascically it just works.

Skills 11:27 03 May 06

If you would like a copy of ubuntu both live and install CD then I can post you one. If you send me your details via the yellow envelope Ill get it in the post for ya.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…