Linux 'Changing distribution' question.

ddd3 13:39 04 Apr 05

This may sound crazy to people who've already done it, but since a quick squizz around the net hasn't revealed the answer (Maybe I asked the wrong question) I'll take a deep breath and ask the experts.

The only time I've tried to swap distributions I came a cropper (All revealed elsewhere in the PCA archives). Since then I've taken one precaution against that happening again. I've put the boot and swap files on one HD (With the world's largest 'tmp' file), and put everything else onto another HD.

Now my question becomes, if I swap distros, let's say, from the top of my head, completely at random, from Mandrake 9.1 to Ubuntu. Will Ubuntu be able to access all the information safely tucked away on the second drive, or will it just see gibberish which I shall have to sort out by hand (Again....)?

Chegs ® 14:48 04 Apr 05

Any flavour of linux should be able to read the other distros files.

ddd3 02:12 05 Apr 05

Thanks!

(Now I just have to wait until that Ubuntu disc gets here...)

dth 09:41 05 Apr 05

It is best to have your Home folder as a separate partition. That way you can use any distribution or multiple distributions at the same time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…