Linux CD

ricvic 16:37 31 Mar 05

I've downloaded a Linux ISO and burnt the image to CD. When I start my PC, asking it to boot from CD rom it tells me that there is no boot record on the CD. It's probably something really simple: but what?
Should i have run the image or somehow unpacked it before burning to CD?

TomJerry 16:40 31 Mar 05

did you burn the image using "burn image" option in Nero or something similar?

Chegs ® 16:46 31 Mar 05

What flavour of linux,as Suse needs a "Suse boot cd" to operate(as I found out when trying to load Suse 8.1,1st cd refused to load,so created it again and again and again)

ricvic 16:58 31 Mar 05

Thank you. I knew I could rely on you for swift and helpful replies.

I burnt the CD using windows XP standard CD burner.
Mandrake 10.1

Chegs ® 17:24 31 Mar 05

MDK should simply boot from the 1st CD.If it doesn't,then there are two options,one/ you've cocked up the image burning,or two/ you've got a damaged download.

To burn an ISO image to CD is easiest with either Roxio/Nero,and there are dozens of pages online(with pictures)describing howto.

click here

Vitruvian Man 18:00 31 Mar 05

you didnt burn the iso straight to the disk did you? You need to go to burn options and burn as an image file.

ricvic 18:31 31 Mar 05

V Man. I see my error. Thank you all.

ricvic 15:23 01 Apr 05

Thanks again V Man. I followed your link and now have a brand new Linux installation on a PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…