//some 3rd party need geo

Linux beinner neeeds general help

Bob The Nob© 18:05 12 Aug 05

Hi guys, as some of you might know I have recently installed mandrake linux 10 on my laptop and I did have some problems with my graphics, that is now solved and I have three questions for you if you can answer then I will be very grateful.

1. How do I create a FAT partition so I can save stuff on linux and access it on windows? I can make the partition itself but my defalt user can't write to it, I have tried making folders in it using the root account but I can change the permissions of the folder, it always resets, the drive has 'ordinary users and write to drive' ticked in diskdrake. Any ideas??

2. Is there any FREE anti-virus progs out there that I can download the updates to on a different PC and transfer them to linux, My laptop isn't connected to the internet but i can access the internet via a family PC. It most be easy to install as well cause im hopeless it installing linux progs unless its an RPM.

3. Basicalyy the same as above but for an anti-spyware/anti-malware prog.

Thanks for any help.

Bob The Nob

octal 18:19 12 Aug 05

I'm not sure about your first problem, so I'll think about it.

If your Linux is not connected to the Internet, don't bother with any anti virus program, you won't need it. I use Bitdefender click here but it only ever finds Windows virus when I remember to run it and that was only twice in the last 18 months. There are no malware programs written for Linux.

Bob The Nob© 18:40 12 Aug 05

ok thanks octal, just making sure

octal 19:08 12 Aug 05

I've had a think about it and looked at my own system (Xandros Linux) and I have two FAT 32 partitions and any of the users or root can read/write to them, they appear as just other drives on my system, I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you are trying to do, sorry I must be in thick mode today.

I take it you've dual booted with Windows and is that Windows XP?

Bob The Nob© 16:39 13 Aug 05

yep, windows XP on an NTFS partition.

octal 17:41 13 Aug 05

I can see no reason why you can't see the FAT 32 partition from Linux, maybe the drive needs to be mounted, this site will tell you how to do that for Windows click here

As a matter of interest, can you read the files in the Windows XP from Linux? You should be able to read them but you can't write to them because they are NTFS, but I think you already know that.

ashdav 17:49 13 Aug 05
  Bob The Nob© 18:46 23 Oct 05

well i've got a fat 32 partition sorted out and the rest is ok too! thanks for you help it was very useful

octal 19:57 23 Oct 05

Thanks for the feedback.

How are you enjoying your Linux?

bremner 20:01 23 Oct 05
  bremner 20:02 23 Oct 05

Sorry too much vino

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…