linux alternatives please

Diodorus Siculus 21:17 15 Feb 05

I would be greatful for any suggestions for linux alternatives for the following:

Irfanview - small, light and fast.

MS Outlook - used only as a source for mailmerge for a number of groups. Can anyone suggest a linux program that handles mail merge well and will accept all my Outlook contacts?

I use - is kOffice any better?

A decent DVD player? And cd ripper / player?

Mirosoft publisher.

Website creation? There was one but I cannot remember the name - free and available for windows, linux and so forth.

Thanks for any suggestions. I run Suse 9.2

LinuxPenguin 21:24 15 Feb 05

koffice is excellent
XMMS came before winamp, youll notice the similar styling, it is an excellent program for playing CDs
i believe KDE has tis own cd ripper, but a google search will bring up many things.
as for mail, i have heard good things about kmail.

Diodorus Siculus 21:32 15 Feb 05

Thanks, LinuxPenguin - what are the positives of koffice over OpenOffice?

I use thunderbird for mail - easiest way of sharing between windows and suse.

LinuxPenguin 22:05 15 Feb 05

having never used openoffice i cant say, google may bring up a comparison though

Belatucadrus 23:30 15 Feb 05

click here why not stick with OpenOffice, there's couple of linux variants available to download.

Chegs ® 01:41 16 Feb 05

IrfanView replacement for Linux = Gimp.

Outlook can be got running under Linux(dependent on users abilities)

Amarok = Superb media player(according to the blurb on the box)

All the above are included with Suse 9.2,hope these assist.

Diodorus Siculus 07:49 16 Feb 05

[quote] IrfanView replacement for Linux = Gimp.[/quote] - not quite! :-)

I use the gimp as a replacement for photoshop - what I wanted was a small, fast image file opener that works as a quick way of browsing images.

I am not intending to use anymore MS products if I can get a replacment; some experimentation last night got me using kontact under KDE which will do for mail merge.

Maarok - thanks for that one; it loos promising.

Diodorus Siculus 08:03 16 Feb 05

What happened my spelling?

[quote] Maarok - thanks for that one; it loos promising.[/quote] should have read:

Amarok - thanks for that one; it looks promising.

Belatucadrus 10:48 16 Feb 05

IrfanView replacement for Linux = XnView click here very similar in look and function

Belatucadrus 10:51 16 Feb 05

Website creation for Linux = NVU click here

Diodorus Siculus 10:54 16 Feb 05

Many thanks Belatucadrus; NVU was the one I was thinking of but could not track down.

XnView is a program I used to use on Windows and did not realise it has an option for linux. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…