Linux advice sought

Newuser2 14:45 20 May 06

I'm going to install Linex on my PC.
At the present I'm running XP home on a 120gb HD with a 60gb HD as backup. CPU is AMD 64 bit.
I thinking of getting another 120gb HD and installing Linex on that.
Any thoughts or advice on the above.
Thanks

octal 15:11 20 May 06

Linux doesn't need very much room at all, so if you wanted you could get any with a smaller disk, or even partition a portion of you back-up disk.

Just one word of warning, well two really, the first one is if you are running XP in NTFS it would be wise the create a small FAT32 partition so that you can swap files between XP and Linux because XP won't see Linux and Linux can only read the NTFS partition it can't write to it, whereas they can both read FAT32. The second warning is when are installing Linux, make sure you follow the on-screen installation instructions carefully because Linux has the hobbit of wanting to take over the whole drive if you are not looking at what you are doing.

What version of Linux are you looking at? I'm using Xandros.

octal 15:12 20 May 06

hobbit! I don't think so, I meant habit.

DieSse 15:18 20 May 06

Xandros is a good choice for a Windows user, as most things will seem quite familiar. It can install itself with dual-boot with WinXP with no problems at all. You only ned a small partition to start with - you could choose 30/40Gb, on your main drive - and still have access to all the stuff stored in the NTFS Windows partition.

Also very popular is Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

You can download "live" CDs for some distros - these enable you to try the version out without installing anything on your hard drive at all.

Newuser2 15:22 20 May 06

Thanks octal, I'm going to install Ubuntu.
I should say that I have no partition's on the current 120gb HD. One more question if I did install another 120gb HD would it be advisable to set them up in a Raid configuration. My MOBO has that facility.

octal 16:20 20 May 06

If you wanted to install it on the same HD as XP that's not a problem, Linux will ask you how much you want to allocate to it, that's what I meant earlier, if you don't read the on-screen instructions its possible to let it take over the whole drive, it has been done before, but I'm sure you'll be careful having been warned. As DieSse 30 to 40 Gb is adequate. I have two other users on this machine and I'm only using 4.5Gb on a 30Gb drive and that includes the operating system, and all our data files.

I'm not an expert on the RAID system, but from the Linux forums some people have had problems with RAID and the BIOS finding the boot loader.

woodchip 16:41 20 May 06

Why not try Live Linux CD first click here

Newuser2 19:03 20 May 06

Thanks for your replies guys, all very helpful.
If anyone has any info on RAID configuration I will be very grateful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…