linux advice

ollie < one> 21:30 11 Jul 04

hi all
somebody suggested installing and using linux (lycoris) as an alternative to win xp so wishing to give it a go. Im currently running win 98se on amd xp2100 cpu 512mb ram Ive partitioned my 40gb hdd to 3x10gb partitions and 1x7.5gb partition
7,5gb partition has win98se on. not knowing much about linux can i install lycoris on another partition and have comp duel boot is there any uncompatability issues ?? where can i get help for linux,any and all replies will be read avidly
as i would like to give this a try thanks to all

ollie < one> 22:56 11 Jul 04

$$$

kspatto 23:25 11 Jul 04

type linux help into any search engine and you will get more responces than you can shake a stick at try this site click here

or this one click here

best of luck patto

LastChip 00:43 12 Jul 04

There are three ways you can go about this.

You don't say how you partitioned your drive, but if you used Partition Magic, Boot Magic is a nice simple program to have almost unlimited operating systems on one machine. (One of mine has five!) There are also free programs available that will do a similar thing.

Alternatively, although I have not tried Lycoris, every Linux distro I have tried so far, includes a boot manager, (often Lilo), which will automatically install. This produces a screen at start-up offering you the choice of which system to boot into.

The third method, is to ignore this option altogether and tell Linux to boot from a floppy disc. Many prefer this method, as it doesn't interfere at all with your existing installation. When you want to load Linux, just pop your disc in and start the machine. Personally, I don't like this method, as floppy disc's can be notoriously unreliable, but it may appeal to you.

You would be well advised to do a little homework before installation, as there are differences that you may not be used to. For example, hard drive partitions are no longer C:, D: etc, they become hda0; hda1; and so on. Linux will create at least one main drive and a swap file. That's the least it can operate on. It is very likely there is a Readme on the installation CD, which may help, or as advised above, the web is full of helpful Linux folk only too pleased to help. There are also some tutorials on the Lycoris site amongst which is one devoted to partitions.

Be prepared for a steep learning curve, but persistence pays off and it can be very rewarding, both in terms of achievement and the extra knowledge gained.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced