Linux

dsimitas 03:34 03 Apr 03

I am a student that's building a new computer from scratch and wanted to install Linux as the OS but isn't sure what version is better for me to use.

I have asked IT guys I know and they tell me to use suSE Linux Because it more secure according to them but I am not sure if it's the best to start with.

John-259217 04:58 03 Apr 03

I`ve used SuSE 8.1 on a PIII system and found it OK. Like most Linux flavours it can be dificult in some ways but generally its installer and package updater work well. The Red Hat distro is a little less polished but still not bad or you could look at Slackwares offering. To some extent your choices are influenced by how you intend to get the O/S. The Linux distros are available as free (large!!) downloads or frequently given away on coverdisks and with text books. When you say secure do you mean system stability or security from hackers/viruses? Linux if set up well is generally more stable than windows but still has tantrums now and then. Viruses are not currently reguarded as a big problem due to the nature of the system but a Linux box can still be vulnerable to a hacker if it has not been well set up.

zanwalk 08:40 03 Apr 03

Mandrake 9.0 and Suse have the easiest installers for beginners, the best way to find one that suits you is to install two or three different ones, as everyone has their preferences, and will disagree on the best one! As above, they are freely available on cover disks, but if you have any difficulty, I have most of the popular distros and would gladly send you a copy.

jimv7 08:44 03 Apr 03

Try this

click here

dsimitas 16:56 03 Apr 03

I am talking about protection for attacks since most new attack that are like "I LOVE YOU" are created with linux because they don't want it to back fire because linux controls what the software on the system does but windows allows the attacker to do anything as long as the hardware allows it.

Taran 17:38 03 Apr 03

Mandrake or SuSE without a doubt are the most painless installs of the current distributions.

Security in Linux is something of a minefield. You have to know how to get the best out of it to stand a chance of remaining protected online, and you need either a broadband connection or a hardware 56k modem. Most ISP's refuse to support Linux computers so if you need any help, you're on your own. Software modems almost never work properly, with one or two exceptions.

An out of the box Linux setup is wide open to attack, just like an equivalent Windows setup. If all you want is security, I'd suggest you stick with Windows and just invest in a reasonable software firewall - or a hardware router if you have broadband, which also doubles as a firewall and gives excellent filtering as well as networking potential for connection sharing. That, in tandem with a good antivirus program will keep almost all of the nasties out.

If you want to install Linux for other purposes though, as a learning excercise or just out of curiosity, go for it and good luck. We are here of you need help with specifics and the homepages of whichever distribution you settle on has links to tutorials for installing and configuring.

Run a search in Google for SuSE tutorials or Linux security and similar for lots of useful info.

Good luck with it.

Taran

Taran 17:45 03 Apr 03

Just to put things into perspective here, hacking is rarely directed at standalone PCs. Even if you are a target, anyone above script kiddie level will be able to tell which operating system you are using, including any service patches installed as long as you are using Windows. If you are using Linux, keep in mind that people with a serious level of knowledge will be able to bypass the limited ability of a newcomer to it, so using Linux is no instant guarantee of security.

At the end of the day, the chances of you getting "hacked" are unbelievably remote although yes, the chance is still there, no matter which operating system you use.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…