Linux

allstar 20:49 16 Mar 03

Hi

I have a spare PC and wish to install Linux but have a few questions.

1. What is the minimum spec pc for Linux?

2. Which version is the best to install for a newbie for personal use?

3. Does anybody know of any good forums (other than PCA) which are invaluable for Linux users?

4. Most importantly, where can i download Linux from?

Thanks

Pª?? ™ ? 21:38 16 Mar 03

Linux will run on almost anything. If you have a low powered computer though try using one of the less resource hungry Desktop managers (Not Gnome or KDE)

Try Mandrake or Redhat for starters theyre very good for n00bs like myself.

As for forums try Google click here

To find where to download it again use Google click here and search for the Distro you want to use. IE Mandrake

tran1 21:39 16 Mar 03

Hi,

Mandrake 9.0 is considered the best and easiest for the first-time user. I installed Mandrake about 2 months ago. Apart from a few Boot problems, its all working nicely now.

I've heard that Linux doesn't require much in terms of PC spec and any old pc would do fine. Linux is less demanding than windows.

Mandrake linux Homepage: click here

There are many Linux magazines in the shops and I know that one magazine has a Distrobution of Mandrake 9.0 on it. The benfit of this is that you get the magazine with help and tips on Mandrake.

Otherwise, you can download Mandrake 9.0 from the above Link.

geoff47 21:50 16 Mar 03

I am trying to get into it too...Mandrake 9.0 is supposed to be the easiest for new users,I have had a few problems with it but I am very nearly computor illiterate.
justlinux.com is a good site,but there is many sites for its many distros(distibutions)
Put linux into google and wowee you will be spoilt for choice.Its not the same as windows,so it is better you have a basic knowledge before trying it, but I for one will continue until I get the hang of it.
Geoff47

interzone55 21:50 16 Mar 03

Mandrake requires a Pentium PC or above, but does need a decent amount of memory 128Mb would be minimum.
Other distributions need about the same memory, but will run on a 486.

Mandrake is about the easiest to install, although SuSe is also quite easy.

I wouldn't try downloading it, as distros usually come on 2 or 3 CDs so that's well over a gigabyte of download. Go here instead click here and buy the full 6CD release for £10.

One warning about Linux though is that there are no drivers for most internal modems and some cheap printers.

woodchip 21:57 16 Mar 03

You really need about a 3Gb Hard Drive Minimum with no partition just a blank drive to load. And start with the first CD in the computer. But your computer should be able to start from a CD. It will also need to be set as the first boot device in CMOS SETUP

tran1 22:00 16 Mar 03

I have a spare copy of Mandrake Linux 9.0 which I got off ebay. I eventually bought a Linux magazine that came with a distobution as well, so I have 2 copies.

If you send me a self addressed Envelope, I'll be happy to send it to you.

Its only the basic 3-CD download version.

TECHNODIMWIT 22:40 16 Mar 03

i purcased today "linux the complete guide" from
wh.smith, 3 cd`s included, mandrake linux 9.0,
applications disc, and a bootable demo disc.

£7.99, seems like a good start to linux, will try it tomorow as i`ve just got home from work and don`t think i can give it enough concentration at the moment.

loks like a good place to start

mark

ps FE sorry to advertise another mag, but it is totaly different content and (i dont think) a threat to your sales

Forum Editor 22:44 16 Mar 03

No problem - it sounds like a good way to get into Linux.

It's not as difficult as it might appear,the days are gone when it took forever to get Linux working, and the industry joke used to be "Linux is free, as long as your time is worth nothing".

TECHNODIMWIT 23:08 16 Mar 03

i`ve tried the bootable demo, cant wait till i have more time to try it on a spare hard drive.
but suspect i`ll have to dual boot until linux ca support my printer/scanner etc.

will post when its up and running

tran1 23:34 16 Mar 03

Thats the Mag I bought as well.

As alot of people mentioned here. Save the boot loader onto floppy disk. That way, if you decide not to keep it, you won't have to reconfigure Windows MBR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…