Linux 8, can't alter security settings, Help

Kitz E Kat 21:10 22 Apr 03

Just loaded Linux 8, did a lot of messing around ( as you do !!)mainly with the Apachie server, got ina mess decided to reload to clear the mess.Now i find i cant change the security settings ie. the firewall and access settings, i have it on a small LAN with no internet access,so security is not an issue, i need t lower the firewall and allow HTTP access, FTP, etc. but every time i change the settings they go back to default. Another reload, this time im smart! i disable the firewall and allow complete access during the install, D'oh!! when install completed, yup ,bloody firewall is there on high and no access for HTTP, FTP etc,im in root, have passwords, but cant change settings, HELP :-(

Stuy 23:12 22 Apr 03

Which distro is it? e.g Mandrake/Redhat.

John-259217 03:43 23 Apr 03

I`d guess its Red Hat but I can`t be more helpfull as I`ve hit exactly the same problem on my own system. I also reloaded, setting the firewall to none with no improvement. Remote probes show it to be functioning as indicated. On first set-up I did manage to lower it for Http but after reboot it locked out as you have found. I`d also guess your setting up from a graphic interface as I am which I think may be a possible cause. I don`t have the setup details to apply from the command line but I think this might be the way forward maybe Stuy knows more?

Kitz E Kat 09:57 23 Apr 03

Thanks,its a Red Hat distro, Im looking on the bright side im not on my own!!!! Pretty much everything i have done is within the GUI, im only getting the hang of this thing, but i figure its worth it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…