Linux

Could anybody advise me as to the best and easiest version of linux to use.I want to be able to install it on my hard drive
40gb hard drive
2.00mghtz processor
512 ram
thank you

mgmcc 14:16 15 Nov 05

Within the last week, I bought a copy of "Linux User" magazine which had a cover mounted DVD of the latest SuSE - version 10. It was a dawdle to install, although I did use an empty hard drive to install it into.

Some time ago, I played about with SuSE 8.1 but that I found very problematical. So far, I've been pleasantly surprised by this latest version - networking with Windows and Mac OS x has been straightforward as has setting up a wireless network adapter.

It's worth a look.

sharkfin 14:19 15 Nov 05

yes, if you pop into your local WHSmiths and get yourself a linux magazine, it will almost definately come with a distro and bonus being it will have a guide on setting it up as well.

If not, then I'd recommend mandriva or Xandros linux.

igk 14:51 15 Nov 05

I have gone over 100% to Suse Linux 9.3 Pro,easy to instal configured itself,found everything correctly even my home network and bb connection..
But don't expect to play the games that you can on a windoze system..

igk 15:00 15 Nov 05

I should have mentioned that unless you intend to run a mail/website server you do not need antivirus/adware/spyware software..

DieSse 15:26 15 Nov 05

"you do not need antivirus/adware/spyware software"

Even though I agree you'd be less at risk - I think that's quite dangerous advice.

igk 20:57 15 Nov 05

I don't give dangerous advice!!!
Just google antivirus for linux and see what you get,
most software companies produce it but as long as you do any security updates it is not as much of a requirement as it is with windoze...

DieSse 23:22 15 Nov 05

"it is not as much of a requirement as it is with windoze..."

That I agree with - it's the "do not need" I think is dangerous.

NOD32 for Linux click here - also see comments about Linux and malware.

Chegs ® 23:45 15 Nov 05

Linux is just as at risk as windows but for a few key differences...

a)virus writers tend not to launch attacks against linux OS as there are alot less users to attack.

b)Linux OS's tend to be run by a secondary account,not root.

Malware/Spyware though can affict either OS equally.

Skills 00:21 16 Nov 05

Ive also read that although a linux box may not be infected by viruses written for windows it can pass them on. eg if you recieve a infected email

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…