Linksys WRT54GS Router with SpeedBooster

mgmcc 18:37 11 Apr 06

Is anyone using one of these routers with Cable broadband and in conjunction with a compatible Linksys SpeedBooster Wireless Network Adapter? If so, are they getting any indication in Windows that the two devices are connecting at speeds above 54Mbps?

Alternatively, can anyone using the equivalent ADSL kit advise if they can find any evidence that the network is communicating at a higher speed?

Danoh 22:32 11 Apr 06

can't say for "boosted" 802.11g kit,
as I have a pre-N setup which does achieve more then 54Mbps.
My crude method is to tranfer several large (>>4 Mb) video files and a stopwatch.
Is there a free utility program which can do a better job of measuring useable data transfer rates?

Not sure how the "boosted" G kit would get above 54Mbps though. Perhaps the claim is for 30+% greater real data transfer rates which approaches 54Mbps via a higher transmitting power?

mgmcc 23:30 11 Apr 06

<<< as I have a pre-N setup which does achieve more then 54Mbps >>>

If you double click your "Wireless Network Connection" in the Network Connections folder to get this box click here does it show a speed of more than 54Mbps?

Danoh 23:43 11 Apr 06

Yes, 108Mbps.
But that is the maximum possible, including the overheads for protocol handshake, WPA encryption, etc.
My crude timings are a bit over the place, with one calculation showing more then 108Mbps, which can't be right!!

mgmcc 08:39 12 Apr 06

Thanks, that's the sort of info I was looking for. It was my understanding that I should be seeing a higher speed, such as 125Mbps, displayed in the dialog box.

rhys 01:17 17 Apr 06

I am using the same Linkys kit with NTL broadband and if i double click on the wireless network icon i get a 54Mbps speed figure.
I have always believed this to be the correct speed for this Linkys setup, unless anyone can advise differently.

mgmcc 07:04 17 Apr 06

What made me believe a faster speed should be shown was that in a review of the WRT54GS router at click here it says:

"An interesting side note is that WinXP's Wireless Zero Configuration utility reports a speed of 125 Mbps when the router and card are left to automatically set their operating speed. So even though Broadcom would like you to forget that they ever said Afterburner would yield 125Mbps speeds, the evidence lives on!"

Danoh 10:09 18 Apr 06

"Of course, any product relying on Super-G's channel-bonding Turbo mode for high throughput won't produce peak speeds if any non Super-G gear is anywhere within range."

Towards the bottom of the page click here

Could that be the reason?
"Afterburner" ~ what marketing obfuscation! :-)

mgmcc 11:32 18 Apr 06

No, although I do have other 802.11g adapters, I only had the one PC with the SpeedBooster WiFi adapter running, so the connection was only with the two devices that support the technology.

...unless another network in the neighbourhood with standard 802.11g was preventing the higher speed :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…