linksys wrt54gs connection probelm

cxx-chris 15:03 30 Jun 06

Hi i have been trying to connect my laptop to desktop (host)via wrt54gs linksys.
The laptop picks up the wlan signal no probelm just will not connect onto the internet ! Someone in the area also has an unsecure wlan i can connect to that no probelm (yes i know its a no no).
Been through everything i can think of no luck.
The desktop shows two connections Lan + Lan 2, lan 1 is connected to the router via ethernet & lan 2 is connect to the modem (adsl ntl)is it correct that both Lan's have different ip addresses if so which one should i connect to?
I've tryed putting the ip address from the host into the network connections on the laptop to know luck where am i going wrong?
Hope you can help been at this on and off for the last 2 weeks. Thx

mgmcc 19:58 30 Jun 06

<<< The desktop shows two connections Lan + Lan 2, lan 1 is connected to the router via ethernet & lan 2 is connect to the modem (adsl ntl)is it correct that both Lan's have different ip addresses if so which one should i connect to? >>>

The WRT54GS router's WAN port should be connected to the NTL Cable Modem via ethernet. The computers then both connect to the router, either "wirelessly" or or by ethernet cable. If you have NTL's ADSL service delivered via the phone line, then you have the wrong router.

There should be no direct connection between a PC and the modem, it is the router's function to connect to the ISP and deliver internet access over the LAN to the networked computers.

cxx-chris 16:47 03 Jul 06

Hi after 3 weeks of trying it's finally up and running, connected a second cat 5 cable so finally got wireless.
Solved by doing ntl modem to router,then other cable from modem to pc.
Thx.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…