Linksys WRT54G router into an acces point?

cappilio 15:30 29 Jan 07

Rite I have Linksys WRT54G Router here now i want to know if there is a way to turn this router into an access point. Basically i want to use this router as like a wifi card so i can connect to a wireless network. Some sort of client mode. I guess i would have to flash the firmware or something but to be quite honest i havn't got a clue. any help would be LOVED.

Strawballs 01:31 30 Jan 07

click here
This is the manual it might help.

cappilio 04:00 30 Jan 07

i dont see where that helps me at all maybe im not looking properly, thats just a guide of what the router does, i cant see where it tells you how to run it in client mode

mgmcc 09:12 30 Jan 07

>> i want to know if there is a way to turn this router into an access point.

The router already incorporates a "Wireless Access Point" but that, as its name suggests, provides a point of access for wireless devices (Wireless Network Adapters) to connect to a Wired Network.

What you are wanting to do is the opposite - to connect a Wired PC or Network to a Wireless Network. This requires a "Wireless Network Bridge" and the Linksys WRT54G doesn't perform that function. Some Wireless routers can operate in "Bridge" mode.

This Belkin "Wireless G Gaming Adapter" is effectively a Network Bridge click here

cappilio 22:53 30 Jan 07

Yes so there is no way of doing this at all? Only i heard that there was some sort of way which isn't supported but is possible, if you think of it i dont see why its not possible all the hardware is there it is able to recieve wirless signals, maybe some sort of modifacation to the firmware or simply new firmware created.

For example i remember when i was younger at my parents home i had a d-link wireless signal repeater however i loaded the firmware from a diffrent d-link wireless access point and this turned that signal repeater into an access point.

mgmcc 08:54 31 Jan 07

The WRT54G can be used as a "stand-alone" Wireless Access Point, but you need to explain what you are trying to do. Your original post said you wanted to use it "like a wifi card", which suggests you want to use it in place of a Wireless Network Adapter to connect to an already existing wireless network - that is not possible.

If you want to use it as a Wireless Access Point, plugged into a wired network, so that computers with a separate Wireless Network Adapter can connect to the network wirelessly, that is possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos