Linksys wireless router has "Limited Connectivity"

kattygurl 21:07 11 Jan 10

So I am currently living at the student dorm at the University of Washington, and they provide high speed internet, which requires each student to go to their bookstore to purchase a "ethernet cable" in order to use it. Last weekends I went home and brought a linksys wireless-G broadband router to the dorm and tried to setup some wireless internet. However, after I successfully connected the internet, my laptop shows "Limited Connectivity" and I wasn't able to access the web by using wireless. I know this has something to do with the IP address. First I thought it might be because the U limited the use of internet or block the IP address, however I just heard from one of my friends that she also setup a wireless network at her area and it works.

Anyone has any idea how to fix it? Please help!

max10 22:13 11 Jan 10

This may sound stupid but is your laptop wireless switched on. Some have a switch on the side, some use a function key.

ame 00:35 13 Jan 10

If you click on the popup window can't you get windows to "repair" the connection. As you say, it is maybe to do with the IP address not being allocated properly.

kattygurl 02:20 13 Jan 10

I did the repair but it won't work. It stops at the step says "renewing your IP address" for a long time then it shows "for assistance, contact the person who manage your network."

mgmcc 09:00 13 Jan 10

If you connect the router's WAN port to the university's internet outlet and then a second ethernet cable between the computer and one of the router's LAN ports, does the computer get its IP address from the Linksys router (probably a 192.168.1.x address) and have internet access?

If so, then the problem is with your "wireless" connection between computer and router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5